|Also known as:||1 to 19 Adelaide Road used to be called William Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler|
Adelaide Road is an important transport artery within Gawler. Its importance was enhanced when, in 1857, the Adelaide to Gawler rail line was completed and Gawler Railway Station was created. The Gawler Station was considered to be so far away from the Murray Street that it was necessary to have a tram-line established. This tram-line from Gawler Station traversed 19th street, along Adelaide Road, crossing the Gawler Bridge [aka Gawler Mill Inn Bridge] and continued to the northern end of Murray Street – to a site opposite the McKinlay Monument.
Adelaide Road was also referred to as “Block Road”, following the installation of large wooden blocks placed underground, and in line, so that the wheels of vehicles ran along the blocks, rather than within the mud. The installation of these blocks proved to be an ineffective innovation and were removed. [The National Trust Museum in Murray Street has 2 of those heavy blocks on display].
Our Wiki has many photos of homes and businesses having Adelaide Road as their address. They are shown here as a group and eventually there will be sets created where more information will be added to each photo.
Adelaide Road has homes and buildings that are on the Contributory and Local Heritage listing for the Town of Gawler Heritage and many are shown at the bottom of all the photographs.
Please <click here> to view photos of buildings on Adelaide Road.