Adelaide Road 10

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 10 Adelaide Road
Town or Locality: Gawler South
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

10 Adelaide Road

This single-storey asymmetrical Federation-era villa is constructed of coursed, dressed sandstone to the façade, and rubble sandstone, brought to course, to the sidewalls, with red brick quoins and dressings.

The roof is hipped with projecting gables to the front and north-east, clad with corrugated metal and includes red brick chimneys with corbelled caps.

The villa features Federation-era timber detailing with carved timber bargeboard, finial, and brackets to the strapped, roughcast gable end panels. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes, and are paired to the projecting gable, with a red brick hoodmould and canopy awning. The door is panelled timber, with leaded sidelights and fanlight.

The bullnose return verandah features a gablet and is clad with corrugated metal, supported on turned timber posts with cast-iron feet.

A non-original rendered fence with timber picket gate define the front boundary.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

Built in the early 1900s, this early-Federation style dwelling is a quality and intact example of its typology which is uncommon to the area. It demonstrates a supplementary phase of prosperity in the area which involved the success of commercial and industrial development.

The homogeneous local stone and brickwork, quality materials and craftsmanship reflect its prominent location along Adelaide Road.

The brief period during which the structure was occupied by a member of the prominent Bassett family, likely for use as an office, affirms its status as a high-quality, reputable build at that time.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two.

Originally named ‘Murray Street’ on the registered plan, the boundaries of the site, Portion of Allotments 58 and 59 of Section 3 of Gawler South were realigned in 1909.

A number of large individual and paired dwellings were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.

This villa was likely constructed in the early 1900s for Harry Innes Shipway, a commercial traveller, who owned the property in 1909 as indicated by the earliest available Certificate of Title. Shipway was born in Clarendon, South Australia in 1881 where he was elected secretary treasurer for the Labour Party’s Clarendon branch in 1915. An article in the Daily Herald has Shipway listed as a nominee for the position of treasurer for the Port Gawler District Council in 1912.

In 1910, the property was leased by Herbert Vosper Bassett, son of the prominent Gawler figure, William Bassett, who once owned a large portion of the land in Gawler west which was originally laid out as Bassett Town. Herbert Vosper Bassett was a councillor for the east ward of Gawler at the time of the lease.

Please <click here> to view photos of 10 Adelaide Road.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

Related Articles

Sources

  • ‘CLARENDON BRANCH’ Daily Herald 14 August 1915 p.3.
  • LTO Certificate of Title CT799/20
  • ‘PORT GAWLER’ Daily Herald 19 June 1912 p.11.
  • Presgrave ‘Plan of Gawler Town South being Section no.3 in the Gawler Special Survey’ 1858
  • Schulze Brendan. ‘Harry Innes Shipway’ (1881-1950) Wikitree FREE Family Tree." Wikitree.com. N.p. 2019.
  • ‘William Bassett’ Bassettbranches.org. N.p. 2020



Memories of Adelaide Road 10

Do you remember Adelaide Road 10 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.