Adelaide Road 22a & 22b

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 22a & 22b Adelaide Road
Town or Locality: Gawler South
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

DESCRIPTION:

This pair of late-Victorian attached dwellings is constructed of coursed sandstone with red brick dressings with overpainted rubble side walls all with rendered moulded caps.

A rubble bluestone wall separates the two dwellings, projecting from the verandah with arched rendered capping. Projecting Dutch-gable parapeted bays to either end feature red brick gable vents, cornice moulds and hood moulds over paired windows, typical of Gawler dwellings.

The roof is hipped with parapeted gable projecting bays to the façade, clad with corrugated galvanised iron. Windows are timber-framed and double-hung, and doors are timber-framed with fanlights. A large, central overpainted brick chimney, features banding and dentilled caps. The verandah has an ogee profile and is clad with corrugated galvanised iron.

The fence to the front boundary is a non-original low rendered wall.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

Built in 1881, during a time of major growth of local industry, the paired dwellings demonstrate the period of industrial development associated with the establishment of the railway line to Adelaide which provided and easier means of transporting goods. They are a high-quality example of the type of dwellings constructed during this period, featuring homogeneous local stone and brickwork and Gawler-style detailing typical of that time.

Its ownership by a fitter, likely of a local manufacturing company, is an indication of the direct relationship between this type of residential development and the local industrial success.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two.

A number of large individual and paired dwellings were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.

Originally named ‘Murray Street’ on the registered plan, Allotment 67 was developed by James Paternoster, Fitter, of Queen Street in 1881 with the stone dwellings. Purchased by W Thomas Hutchinson in 1883 and R March in 1884, the property continued to be tenanted by Paternoster until his death in 1884.

For a short period around 1900 the building was used as a dwelling and shop; the business being owned by David Thomas, Iron Founder, of King Street and William Sands, a Fitter.


Please <click here> to view photos 22a & 22b Adelaide Road.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.

Sources

  • DASH Gawler Heritage Survey p.211.
  • Hignett Gawler Heritage Study: Stage 1 p.144.
  • Presgrave ‘Plan of Gawler Town South being Section no.3 in the Gawler Special Survey’ 1858
Adelaide Road 22A & 22B
Adelaide Road 22A & 22B


Memories of Adelaide Road 22a & 22b

Do you remember Adelaide Road 22a & 22b ? Then Join up and add your memory here.