Adelaide Road 32
|Address:||32 Adelaide Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This large single-storey asymmetrical villa is of late-Victorian style and is constructed of dressed, coursed bluestone with red brick quoins and dressings, and rendered mouldings.
The dwelling features a projecting bay with Dutch-gable parapet with paired arched headed windows, shaped-brick cornice, and rendered hood mould and capping.
The roof is hipped with projecting gable bay to the front, clad with corrugated metal and features red brick chimneys with dentilled detail to caps.
The windows to the dwelling are timber-framed and double-hung and the door is timber framed and panelled with glazed fanlight. The projecting bay beneath the verandah has been altered to include a second entry.
The return bullnose verandah is clad with corrugated metal and is supported on cast-iron trellis posts to the front and timber posts to the side.
The original masonry fence has been rendered and features arched coping and cast-iron panels.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Likely built in the late 1800s or early 1900s, this quality villa was constructed during a time of renewed commercial and industrial prosperity in Gawler.
First owned by a storekeeper and successively by local workers and businesses, the former dwelling demonstrates the development of residential and commercial buildings along Adelaide Road as a result of increase in population and need for accommodation at the time.
The dwelling is visually impressive, with homogeneous local stone and brickwork and elaborate Gawler-style form and detailing, quality materiality and workmanship, and is in excellent condition. The fine detail is enhanced further by a complementary stone and cast iron palisade fence and gate. The quality of its construction and detailing reflects the prominence of its position along Adelaide Road.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two. A number of large individual and paired dwellings were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.
Allotment 69 of Section 3, Gawler South was purchased by David McMillan, Storekeeper of Gawler South on 22nd October 1889. The property was then transferred to George Bauchope, gardener, and his wife Ann in December 1912. William Sands, Engine Fitter of Gawler South owned the allotment from 1913 to 1922 when Ethel Annie Codrington, wife of George James Codrington, tailor, of Gawler took possession. W H Codrington operated as a Tailor and Outfitter in Murray Street premises.
Please <click here> to view photos of 32 Adelaide Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 534/27
- Presgrave ‘Plan of Gawler Town South being Section no.3 in the Gawler Special Survey’ 1858.