Adelaide Road 36
|Address:||36 Adelaide Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This single-storey parapeted corner shop is constructed of overpainted rubble stone, brought to course, with overpainted brick quoins, dressings, and parapet.
The hipped roof form is concealed by the shaped parapet and is clad with corrugated metal.
The shopfront features timber-framed shopfront display windows to both street frontages, with multipaned glazing and timber stall boards beneath. The timber-framed door features a fanlight and addresses the corner.
The concave return verandah is clad with corrugated metal, supported on timber posts, and partially enclosed with timber balustrades.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
This corner shop was likely constructed in the 1870s for prominent Gawler businessman and merchant, John Mitchell.
It is associated with the period of substantial growth of Gawler South, servicing the growing local population, resulting from the establishment of the nearby Gawler Railway Station and adjacent industry investment at that time. It is significant for its role servicing the surrounding residential development in a key location on Adelaide Road.
It is a relatively externally intact example of a mid-Victorian era parapeted shopfront and its scale, form and detail clearly demonstrate that.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Lot 71 at the southeast corner of then Murray and King streets, was purchased by Gawler Merchant, John Mitchell, in January 1872. In 1885 James Martin, Gawler Machinist and Andrew Mitchell of Gawler, Accountant, had taken over the title as executors to Mitchell’s estate. The property was transferred in 1899 to Rose Sharp, wife of Gawler South Storekeeper, William James Sharp, who owned the property until her death in 1942. The Sharps had operated a wine store from the site.
Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two.
As well as the residences being established along the major roadway, a number of supporting business premises were established to service the local population and industry growth during the last two decades of the nineteenth century.
Please <click here> to view photos of 36 Adelaide Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Gawler Heritage Study Stage 1 1981.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 162/3
- Presgrave ‘Plan of Gawler Town South being Section no.3 in the Gawler Special Survey’ 1858.