Adelaide Road 44

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 44 Adelaide Road
Town or Locality: Gawler South
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

FORMER USE: Boys’ School, Attached Dwellings

DESCRIPTION:

This pair of late-Victorian attached dwellings with projecting gables is constructed of coursed dressed bluestone with a tuck-pointed finish, and red brick quoins, dressings and distinctive Gawler-style gable vents to the projecting gables.

The former dwellings include quality detailing to the gables including timber finials and cast-iron lace fringe. Side walls are of ruled random rubble bluestone and chimneys are red face brick with dentilled caps.

The roof is hipped, with projecting gables to either end, and clad with corrugated metal. The windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes with arched heads and the doors are timber-framed with fanlights.

The concave verandah is clad with corrugated metal with castiron corner brackets.

The original stone boundary wall has been replaced with vegetation.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

Likely constructed during the late 1890s the pair of attached former dwellings at 44 Adelaide Road demonstrate the ongoing prosperity and resulting residential development of Gawler during the second half of the nineteenth century with distinctive, paired accommodation providing higher density and affordable accommodation options for tenants.

Located on a principal connecting arterial road, the dwellings were conveniently located between the Gawler Railway Station and Gawler township.

The use of local stone and brickwork in a distinctively Gawler typology, contributes a homogeneous composition of significance to the local area.

Quite likely developed by the wife of prominent local surgeon Richard St Marks Dawes, Arabella Rose Dawes, who was heavily involved in the establishment of the nearby Church of the Transfiguration and provision of social services. It is possible that the building holds additional significance for providing a home for the local Gawler South Boys’ school.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857.

With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main Gawler township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two. A number of large individual and paired dwellings were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.

Allotment 75 of Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was owned by Arabella Rose Dawes, wife of prominent Gawler citizen and Surgeon, Richard St Mark Dawes, from 15 September 1897. Arabella was described as a kind and charitable individual and was founding member and benefactress of the nearby Church of the Transfiguration on Adelaide Road.

It appears from historic directories that the Dawes did not reside at Adelaide Road and it has been suggested that the property was used as ‘Gawler South Boys’ School’, however this has not been founded.

It is possible that the building was actually used as the Gawler South Grammar School, an establishment supported by the Dawes.

Following her death in 1934 the property passed to her son, Adolf Henry Coombs Dawes, also a Medical Practitioner of Gawler who owned it until his death in 1966.

Please <click here> to view photos of 44 Adelaide Road.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.

Related Articles

Sources

  • Gawler History Team Inc. Website gawlerhistory.com and flikr album ‘Adelaide Road’.
  • Hignett Gawler Heritage Study Stage 1 1981.
  • LTO Certificate of Title CT624/178
  • ‘OBITUARY: MRS A R DAWES’. Chronicle 29 March 1934 p.28.
  • Presgrave ‘Plan of Gawler Town South being Section no.3 in the Gawler Special Survey’ 1858.
Adelaide Road 44 -2003 0305
Adelaide Road 44 -2003 0305


Memories of Adelaide Road 44

Do you remember Adelaide Road 44 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.