Adelaide Road 57
|Address:||57 Adelaide Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This single-storey, double-fronted mid-Victorian era worker’s cottage is constructed of overpainted random coursed stone with overpainted brick dressings.
The transverse gable roof is clad with corrugated metal with parapet side walls of overpainted rubble with brick capping.
The north parapet wall is crowned with an overpainted brick chimney with a corbelled cap. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung divided sashes to either side of a central entrance door.
The concave hipped verandah is clad with corrugated metal and supported on square timber posts with cast-iron corner brackets.
The front boundary fence comprises a non-original brick with steel panels.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The cottage at 57 Adelaide Road, Gawler South, is a substantially externally intact example of a distinctive mid-Victorian era Gawler typology, the transverse gabled worker’s cottage typical of the type of diminutive residential development along Adelaide Road and constructed throughout Gawler South and Bassett Town at the time.
It demonstrates the concentrated residential development which occurred as a result of the establishment of the nearby Gawler Railway Station and growth as a consequence of successful industrial and commercial enterprises in Gawler South during the 1850s and 60s.
The cottage, owned by a local ‘Railway Station Porter’, demonstrates residential development in this area as a direct result of the railway and nearby industry.
It is one of a group of 3 cottages within this portion of Adelaide Road which serve to demonstrate this.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main Gawler township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two.
Many large individual and paired dwellings as well as small worker’s cottages were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.
At the time the plan of subdivision was prepared, the subject allotment had not been identified.
The earliest available Certificate of Title indicates ownership of the title in 1882 by a Michael John Lahiff, a porter at the nearby Gawler Railway Station. It was transferred the following year to James Martin, Edward Clement and Benjamin Edward Deland as trustees of the Gawler Permanent Building and Investment Society. In 1889, the property was transferred to Thomas Udy Treleaven, and then passed on to his wife Elizabeth Treleaven, who owned it until her death in 1932.
Please <click here> to view photos of 57 Adelaide Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 402/115
- Warren ‘Plan of the Township of Bassett being portion of Section 8 Gawler Survey and Section 3246 Hd Munno Para’ 1858.