Adelaide Road 63
|Address:||63 Adelaide Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This single-storey, double-fronted Victorian-era worker’s cottage is constructed of overpainted stone with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The transverse gable roof with parapeted gable ends is clad with corrugated metal.
The parapeted walls are constructed of overpainted stone and feature an overpainted brick chimney with simple band to the north wall. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung divided sashes to either side of the central entry door.
The concave verandah is clad with corrugated metal and is supported on square timber posts with decorative cast-iron corner brackets. An original brick openwork fence with arched coping has been overpainted and defines the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The cottage at 59 Adelaide Road, Gawler South, is a substantially externally intact example of a distinctive mid-Victorian era Gawler typology, the transverse gabled worker’s cottage typical of the type of diminutive residential development along Adelaide Road and constructed throughout Gawler South and Bassett Town at the time.
It demonstrates the concentrated residential development which occurred as a result of the establishment of the nearby Gawler Railway Station and successful industrial and commercial enterprises in Gawler South at the time.
Occupied by George Goldney, labourer and engineer for locomotive manufacturer Messrs. James Martin and Co. Ltd, the cottage demonstrates a time of growth in industrial activity, and the increasing demand for accommodation for local workers.
It demonstrates a period of growth of manufacturing industry in Gawler following the completion of the main railway and easy access to Adelaide. It is one of 3 cottages to this portion of Adelaide Road which serve to demonstrate this.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main Gawler township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two. Many large individual and paired dwellings as well as small worker’s cottages were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.
At the time the plan of subdivision was prepared, the subject allotment had not been identified.
The worker’s cottage was owned by George Goldney, a labourer, in 1884. Goldney was employed for a time by Messrs. James Martin and Co. Ltd. The property was transferred to Thomas Matthew Saycell, an engineer, in 1896.
Please <click here> to view photos of 63 Adelaide Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 456/42
- ‘Mr. G. Goldney’ Chronicle 18 February 1937: p.16.
- Warren ‘Plan of the Township of Bassett being portion of Section 8 Gawler Survey and Section 3246 Hd Munno Para’ 1858.