Adelaide Road 8
|Address:||8 Adelaide Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This large, triple-fronted Federation-era asymmetrical villa is located on a corner allotment, designed to address the corner.
The complex roof form and the distinctive turreted entrance bay are typical of Edwardian architecture, while the use of timber in detailing indicate Arts and Crafts influence. The gables are detailed with timber bargeboards, horn finials, and brackets beneath the slatted end panels.
Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes, paired to projecting bays with hood awnings featuring detailed timber brackets. The main entry is a timber panelled door with leadlight glazing to sidelights and fanlight, and a secondary entrance to the north bay features timber panelled French doors.
The return bullnose verandah, with corner facing gablet, is clad with corrugated metal with criteria corner details and is supported on turned timber posts with timber fretwork panels to the frieze. A non-original brick fence with wrought-iron panels defines the Adelaide Road boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Built in the early 1900s, this early-Federation villa is a quality and intact example of its typology which is uncommon to the area. It demonstrates a supplementary phase of prosperity in the area which involved the success of commercial and industrial development.
The home of prominent builder, Gustav Dieckmann, the local stone and brickwork, quality materials and craftsmanship reflect its prominent location along Adelaide Road.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two. A number of large individual and paired dwellings were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.
Originally named ‘Murray Street’ on the registered plan, Allotments 57 Section 3 of Gawler South was vacant at the turn of the century.
In 1909 the property was owned by Adolph Gustav Dieckmann, Carpenter of Gawler South. Dieckmann Bros., local builders, were responsible for construction of the nearby Gawler South Anglican Church Hall. They were also part of a prominent group of local Gawler contractors and tradesmen who had evolved the distinctive Gawler architectural style of the later nineteenth century using local stone, bricks and lime.
The property passed to Adolph’s wife, Naomi following his death in 1953; it remained in the Dieckmann family until 1973.
Please <click here> to view photos of 8 Adelaide Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 799/19
- Hignett Gawler Heritage Study: Stage 1 p.39
- Presgrave ‘Plan of Gawler Town South being Section no.3 in the Gawler Special Survey’ 1858.