Barnet Road 17
|Address:||Barnet Road 17|
|Town or Locality:||Evanston|
The single-storey, double-fronted, asymmetrical mid-Victorian cottage is constructed in two stages of coursed dressed sandstone to the original portion of the cottage and bluestone to the later projecting bay, both with face brick quoins and dressings. The original gable roof to the cottage and the later hip bay are both clad with corrugated galvanised iron The chimney is of face brick with a dentilled band.. The timber-framed, double-hung window sashes have been sheeted over, and feature arched heads and distinctive moulded brick hood mouldings. The timber-framed panelled door has been removed, leaving the doorset with fanlight above.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Believed to pre-date the mid-1870s, the cottage at 17 Barnet Road, is associated with the earliest residential development of the subdivision of ‘Evans Town’ following its survey in 1854.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
The land on which the subject place exists was originally granted in August 1849 to James Philcox, Agent. ‘Evans Town’ (Evanston), was surveyed and subdivided on Section 3220 of the Hundred of Munno Para, as depicted on Deposited Plan No.44 in 1854. The subject land, Part Allotment 21, originally extended to the intersection of Barnet Street and ‘Adelaide Road’ (now Hillier Street). From July 1876 the property was held by John Eason, Labourer of Willaston. Eason transferred the place to Michael Kirby, a Miller of Gawler, in March 1878. Bridget Kirby inherited the property in 1927. In 1933 the allotment was subdivided and reduced by excision of an irregular portion at the southeast corner. A subsequent subdivision in 1958 divided a triangular lot at the northern end, resulting in the current allotment size.
It is unclear when the dwelling was constructed but is likely to have been built in two stages in the mid-to-late-Victorian era; the first portion being the symmetrical double-fronted cottage, c.1870s, with the projecting gabled bay to the northern side added some time later. A front verandah has since been removed and the dwelling is uninhabited.
Please <click here> to see photos of 17 Barnet Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 229/237.
- Deposited Plan No.44 1854.