Blanch Street 11
|Address:||11 Blanch Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
The generously proportioned single-storey late-Victorian era dwelling of face sandstone construction with face red brick quoins and dressings is sited prominently in an elevated garden setting. The double hipped roof has been re-clad with corrugated steel and is punctuated by overpainted brick chimneys. The asymmetrical façade is screened by a timber-framed bullnose verandah, which returns to the south and east elevations.
The verandah is accessed via an imposing set of slate entrance steps with rendered, capped and splayed side walls which terminate in piers with urns. The verandah appears to have been altered with a Federation-era makeover including central gablet and rendered dwarf walls with glazed brown brick capping.
The central main entrance includes an arched head with panelled timber door with timber-framed surrounds with leadlight and stained-glass fanlight.
The door is flanked by a pair of timber-framed double-hung sash windows, repeated elsewhere.
The place includes recent rear additions and a steel garage to the rear. A swimming pool with recent fence is located in the front setback and the frontage is screened by a tall olive hedge.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed around 1876, the villa at 11 Blanch Street, Gawler East demonstrates the subdivision and development of ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’ from the 1870s with large dwellings as an extension to the earlier Gawler East division and settlement of the eastern ridge with generous villas at a time when Gawler commerce and industry was flourishing. The fine and largely intact late-Victorian era villa displays substantial proportions, quality local stonework and brick embellishment.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. Forty acres of this land, laid out as ‘Gawler East’ and located east of Murray Street and north of Lyndoch Road, were later obtained by Doctor David Mahoney and his wife Eliza, nee Reid. Mahoney had arrived in Gawler in the late 1840s and thereafter practiced as Gawler’s second resident doctor.
His large landholdings, ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’, as it was commonly referred to. By 1860 his substantial residence ‘Yenda’ was completed towards the south east corner of the property. The subdivision of this land, part of Section No.4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, appears to have been surveyed and subdivided prior to 1863 but was not offered for sale until March 1873.
At this time Edith and Blanch Streets were formed and named for Mahoney’s two daughters, Jane Edith and Blanche Mathilde. Interestingly, all official land records, including certificates of title, rate assessments and mapping erroneously record ‘Blanch’ Street without an ‘e’.
The subject land, Allotment 341 was transferred from Eliza Sarah Mahoney to John Ivett, Gawler, Machinist, in December 1876 who subsequently built a large dwelling. Ivett was notable in local manufacturing circles for his large agricultural implement business, Swann & Ivett established in the 1860s and who’s machinery included a patented stripper.
In 1913 the property was leased by Alice Parham from John Ivett for a term of seven years. Within that period, Ivett died and the property passed to his widow, Jane, who resided in Adelaide. The property appeared to stay within the Ivett family until Alice Parham, former tenant, purchased it in 1920. In 1961 the original allotment was subdivided to form two lots, with the dwelling at number 13 Blanch Street constructed.
Please <click here> to view photos of 11 Blanch Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Gawler Rate Assessment Books East Ward.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 240/247
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 2855/187
- Warren ‘Plan of part of Gawler East’ plan of subdivision 1873