Blanch Street 12

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 12 Blanch Street
Town or Locality: Gawler East
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

Description

This prominent single-storey asymmetrical double-fronted stone villa with projecting front bay displays high quality in its fine detailing and use of materials in the late-Victorian style.

The building features a high quality tooled and coursed bluestone façade with face brick quoins, dressings and chimneys. The gabled hipped roof and ogee profile verandah are clad in corrugated steel, and the verandah has simple timber posts and restrained cast-iron lace decoration. It is enclosed at one end with a simple timber balustrade.

The projecting bay is decorated with moulded brick detailing in triangular shape, mirroring the gable above, and a brick gable vent and is topped with a turned timber finial. Paired, narrow timber-framed windows to the bay are double-hung sashes and have timber shutters. Other windows at the side and front are timber-framed double-hung sashes, those on the northern side having projecting timber and corrugated iron awning canopies.

Stone and brick outbuildings to the rear are also noted. The front fence, verandah floor and screens are of recent construction.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

Constructed around 1878-9, the villa at 1 2 Blanch Street, Gawler East demonstrates the subdivision and development of ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’ from the 1870s with large dwellings as an extension to the earlier Gawler East division and settlement of the eastern ridge with generous villas at a time when Gawler commerce and industry was flourishing. The fine and largely intact late-Victorian era villa displays substantial proportions, quality local stonework and cast iron and distinctive ‘Gawler-style’ detail and brick embellishment.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. Forty acres of this land, laid out as ‘Gawler East’ and located east of Murray Street and north of Lyndoch Road, were obtained by Doctor David Mahoney and his wife Eliza, nee Reid. Mahoney had arrived in Gawler in the late 1840s and thereafter practiced as Gawler’s second resident doctor. His large landholding, ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’, as it was commonly referred to.

By 1860 his substantial residence ‘Yenda’ was completed. The subdivision of this land, part of Section No.4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, appears to have been surveyed and subdivided prior to 1863 but was not offered for sale until March 1873. At this time Edith and Blanch Streets were formed and named for Mahoney’s two daughters, Jane Edith and Blanche Mathilde. Interestingly, all official land records, including certificates of title, rate assessments and mapping erroneously record ‘Blanch’ Street without an ‘e’.

The subject land, Part of Allotment 263 (southern half) was originally held by John W Jones from 1875 as part of a large fenced area including the adjoining lots 262 and 264. By 1877-8 the lots had been divided and sold, lot 263 to Carl Kamproud; it was described as vacant.

The land was then transferred to Owen Lynch, Watchmaker and Jeweller of Gawler in August 1878 by which stage it had been divided to two lots, including the subject parcel. Rate assessment of 1878-9 indicates that Lynch was residing there by that time. On Owen Lynch’s death in 1880, the property passed to Bridget Lynch, who held it until sale in 1898.

Agnes Wilhelmina Marie Korff then took ownership.


Please <click here> to view photos of 12 Blanch Street.


Acknowledgments


This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.


Blanch Street 12
Blanch Street 12


Memories of Blanch Street 12

Do you remember Blanch Street 12 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.