Blanch Street 14
|Also known as:||‘Burnleigh’|
|Address:||14 Blanch Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This late-Victorian single-storey double-fronted cottage is of face stone and brick construction and generous proportions. The double hipped corrugated iron roof is finished with corrugated roof sheeting and four unpainted face red brick chimneys with dentilled banding. The symmetrical façade features coursed and pointed dressed local sandstone, with a distinctive double string course of decorative red brick running the width of the façadeat window height.
It also features face red brick quoins and dressings. The centrally placed front entrance door includes leadlight side and fanlights and is flanked by windows with timber-framed double-hung sashes. The concave front verandah has timber posts and castiron lace bracket and valance decoration; a central gablet with finial and carved timber barge defines the entrance. Alterations include an attached carport to the south side and timber picket fence to the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed around 1878-9, the villa at 1 4 Blanch Street, Gawler East demonstrates the subdivision and development of ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’ from the 1870s with large dwellings as an extension to the earlier Gawler East division and settlement of the eastern ridge with generous villas at a time when Gawler commerce and industry was flourishing. The fine and largely intact late-Victorian era villa displays substantial proportions, quality local stonework and cast iron embellishment.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. Forty acres of this land, laid out as ‘Gawler East’ and located east of Murray Street and north of Lyndoch Road, were obtained by Doctor David Mahoney and his wife Eliza, nee Reid. Mahoney had arrived in Gawler in the late 1840s and thereafter practiced as Gawler’s second resident doctor. His large landholding, ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’, as it was commonly referred to. By 1860 his substantial residence ‘Yenda’ was completed. The subdivision of this land, part of Section No.4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, appears to have been surveyed and subdivided prior to 1863 but was not offered for sale until March 1873. At this time Edith and Blanch Streets were formed and named for Mahoney’s two daughters, Jane Edith and Blanche Mathilde. Interestingly, all official land records, including certificates of title, rate assessments and mapping erroneously record ‘Blanch’ Street without an ‘e’.
The subject land, Part of Allotment 263 (northern half) was originally held by John W Jones from 1875 as part of a large fenced area including the adjoining lots 262 and 264. By 1877-8 the lots had been divided and sold, lot 263 to Carl Kamproud; it was described as vacant. The land was then transferred to John Thomas Fennell, a Miller of Gawler, in October 1 878 at which stage the dwelling was constructed. John’s wife held the title from 1881 until her death in 1894, thereafter passing to Mary Teresa Lynch as executor and then Bridget Lynch as beneficiary.
Please <click here> to view photos of 14 Blanch Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.