Blanch Street 15
|Address:||15 Blanch Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This imposing double-storey double-fronted villa is well set back from Blanch Street in a generous garden setting. The dwelling is elevated and constructed of face sandstone bought to course and tuck-pointed with rendered quoins and dressings in the late-Victorian style. The double hipped roof has been reclad with corrugated metal roofing and features bold rendered chimneys with moulded caps and corbelled eaves overhangs.
The dwelling is screened by an encircling verandah with convex roofing supported by timber posts with cast iron lacework to balustrade panels and frieze; a decorative gablet with carved barge boards and finial defines the central entrance. The symmetrical façade includes a panelled timber door and surrounds with glazed sidelights and fanlight, flanked by window openings with timber-framed double-hung sashes. The verandah is accessed via a wide flight of slate steps featuring splayed rendered masonry dwarf walls which terminate with moulded piers.
Alterations and additions include rear additions and detached outbuildings, as well as extensive formal landscaping and reproduction cast iron palisade fence.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed around 1882, the villa at 1 5 Blanch Street, Gawler East demonstrates the subdivision and development of ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’ from the 1870s with large dwellings as an extension to the earlier Gawler East division and settlement of the eastern ridge with generous villas at a time when Gawler commerce and industry was flourishing.
The fine and largely intact late-Victorian era villa displays substantial proportions, quality local stonework and highly decorative cast iron embellishment. Aesthetically, the ridge-top location within a generous garden setting and deep front setback distinguishes the dwelling in the streetscape.
A sequence of notable local community members has resided at the property.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1 839. Forty acres of this land, laid out as ‘Gawler East’ and located east of Murray Street and north of Lyndoch Road, were obtained by Doctor David Mahoney and his wife Eliza, nee Reid. Mahoney had arrived in Gawler in the late 1840s and thereafter practiced as Gawler’s second resident doctor.
His large landholding, ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’, as it was commonly referred to. By 1860 his substantial residence ‘Yenda’ was completed. The subdivision of this land, part of Section No.4, Hundred of Nuriootpa,appears to have been surveyed and subdivided prior to 1863 but was not offered for sale until March 1873. At this time Edith and Blanch Streets were formed and named for Mahoney’s two daughters, Jane Edith and Blanche Mathilde. Interestingly, all official land records, including certificates of title, rate assessments and mapping erroneously record ‘Blanch’ Street without an ‘e’.
It appears the Allotment 340 was first purchased by JH Howe in 1 875-6, at which stage it is rated as vacant. By 1877-8 John Ivett owned lots 340 and 341. By 1878-9, Ivett owned three adjoining lots – 340, 341 and 342, however, 340 is listed as vacant and Ivett is listed as resident at 341. Ivett was notable in local manufacturing circles for his large agricultural implement business, Swann & Ivett established in the 1 860s and who’s machinery included a patented stripper. The property was subject to mortgage from James John Callaghan to William Doudy in June 1882. Callaghan was a Councillor for East Ward in 1882 and 1883 and for North Ward in 1 884 and 1885. Rate assessment of 1882-3 indicates an unfinished house on lot 340, indicating it was under construction at the time.
The mortgage was then transmitted to Bridget Mary Doudy, widow, in 1886. In August 1890 the property was transferred to Frank Dixon Harris, then Solicitor of Gawler. Harris was later elected as Gawler Councillor for East Ward (1 894 to 1896) and Mayor (1897 and 1898); he was also President of the Gawler Institute.
The subject parcel, Part Allotment 340 was transferred by Harris to Philip Lane, Gawler Saddler in 1918, at which stage the north-west corner had been excised to form 17 Blanch Street. Harris transferred the smaller lot to Ethel Alice May Lane, wife of Philip Lane, in 1918.
Please <click here> to view photos of 15 Blanch Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.