Blanch Street 22

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: Blanch Street 22
Town or Locality: Gawler East
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

DESCRIPTION:

This mid-Victorian symmetrical double-fronted cottage is constructed of sandstone rubble with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The double, transverse-gabled roof has expressed parapet ends, the front pair topped by an intact face brick chimney at each end, with another two at the rear. The building is roofed in corrugated galvanised iron, which also clads the concave verandah.

A cast-iron lace frieze and corner brackets, with simple timber posts, spans the front façade. The house has timber-framed double-hung sash windows flanking the central panelled timber entrance door.

A Cyclone wire mesh front fence, with rolled steel pedestrian gate, and gabled carport addition to the north side are of later construction.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

Constructed between 1879 and 1882, the cottage at 22 Blanch Street, Gawler East demonstrates the subdivision and residential development of ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’ from the 1870s as an extension to the earlier Gawler East division and settlement of the eastern ridge with residences at a time when Gawler commerce and industry was flourishing. The largely intact late-Victorian era cottage displays quality local stone, brickwork and cast iron embellishment.

The status of the property was confirmed by the sequence of owners who held title to the property including labourers, blacksmiths and a mechanic.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. Forty acres of this land, laid out as ‘Gawler East’ and located east of Murray Street and north of Lyndoch Road, were obtained by Doctor David Mahoney and his wife Eliza, nee Reid. Mahoney had arrived in Gawler in the late 1840s and thereafter practiced as Gawler’s second resident doctor. His large landholding, ‘Mahoney’s Paddock’, as it was commonly referred to. By 1860 his substantial residence ‘Yenda’ was completed. The subdivision of this land, part of Section No.4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, appears to have been surveyed and subdivided prior to 1863 but was not offered for sale until March 1873. At this time Edith and Blanch Streets were formed and named for Mahoney’s two daughters, Jane Edith and Blanche Mathilde. Interestingly, all official land records, including certificates of title, rate assessments and mapping erroneously record ‘Blanch’ Street without an ‘e’.

The subject land, Part Allotment 439 is located at what was the northern end of the original subdivision, adjacent to a then open paddock. In the 1875-6 rate cycle the owner is listed as ‘Mrs Mahoney’ [Eliza, wife of Dr David Mahoney] and the property comprised only land. By 1877-8, the property had been transferred to Henry Wakefield, who is also listed as owning the adjacent paddock.

The land remained vacant and Wakefield resided in a property in Murray Street owned by James Martin. The title was transferred in 1878 from Wakefield to William Northey, Labourer of Gawler, by which stage the allotment had been subdivided; this being the northern portion. It is likely the dwelling was constructed between 1879 and 1882.

A series of workmen owned the property during this phase including Michael Lang, Mechanic, Jacob Veitshegger, Henry Adcock, Blacksmith, Richard Rowe, Blacksmith and Charles Brown, Labourer of Gawler. Further subdivision occurred in 1910 with the rear portion of the allotment being acquired by the South Australian Railways.

Please <click here> to view photos of 22 Blanch Street.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.


Blanch Street 22
Blanch Street 22


Memories of Blanch Street 22

Do you remember Blanch Street 22 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.