Bugg John and Alice
|Type of person||Family
John, born 1856, eldest son of Henry Bugg of Mount Barker was married on 9th November 1882 at the Pirie Street Parsonage by Rev. J B Stephenson to Alice McHugh, born 1855 youngest daughter of the late Mr John McHugh of Mallala and soon after came to Gawler.
John and Alice were residing in Gawler by 1888 as per rate assessment, living at part lot 60, Finniss Street owned by Charles Freak.
John Bugg was a blacksmith and operated a forge at the rear of the Gawler Arms Hotel. An article in the “Bunyip” 17 May 1895 refers to Mr John Bugg, manager for Mr John Jones.
John and Alice resided at 21 Jacob street, part lot 80, where Alice ran a nursing home. There are many references to this establishment in the newspapers, especially in the birth notices.
Please <click here> to view the Bugg family residence on Jacob Street.
[Researched by Margaret Howse].