Daly Street 22
|Also known as:||AZYDU|
|Address:||22 Daly Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
A single-storey double-fronted asymmetrical villa in the Federation era Edwardian style. The coursed face sandstone construction is ruled and features overpainted red face brick quoins and dressings. The façade features a central entrance with panelled timber front door and timber-framed leadlight-glazed surrounds. This is flanked by paired timber-framed doublehung sash windows. An additional bay to the north includes an additional paired window set. The façade is screened by a return bullnose verandah with turned timber posts and cast iron balustrade, frieze and brackets. The main entrance is highlighted by a gablet with timber fretwork over the verandah which is also mirrored by a gablet in the main roofline. The Dutch-gabled roof is finished with non-original corrugated Zincalume and features tall (overpainted) face brick chimneys with corbelled caps. The front boundary is defined by a non-original masonry and steel palisade fence. Alterations include rear additions and garage.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Common within Gawler East, the portion of land was part of a larger land package owned by Dr Barry Cotter, the primary physician in Gawler, and councillor for the south ward in 1857, an indication of the significance of the land holding. This same holding of land, later owned by David Hardy, was further subdivided and sold separately, in the establishment of the aptly named David Street. Likely built sometime in the early 1900s, this Federation-era villa is a quality example of local dwellings of its era. It is largely intact externally, and features high quality detailing in the stonework, dressings and cast iron embellishment. It demonstrates a later typology within an area of early residential development, harmonious due to the use of local materials.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. William Paxton, Adelaide businessman and entrepreneur of Burra Mines fortune, held large portions of land in Gawler in the mid-1840s. In 1849, a portion of Section 4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, the area between Lyndoch Road and the South Para River and between East Terrace and High Street was surveyed and subdivided for sale by Paxton.
The historic Plan of Part of Gawler Town indicates a series of allotments along Daly Street to be under ownership of Dr Cotter, surgeon. This same series of allotments is shown under the common ownership of David Hardy, as recorded in the Gawler East Ward rate assessment books.
The exact date of construction of the dwelling is unknown, however, rate books suggest the possible existence of a cottage on the subject land from as early as 1859. An article in the Bunyip states that in the sale of the series of allotments, David Hardy left a street in between lots 285 and 286, establishing nearby David Street in 1870. The subject land was transferred to James Clark, a fruiterer and later passed on to his wife, Margaret Ann Clark, following his death in 1903, and so on to successive family members, until it was transferred to Reginald Simeon Bosisto in 1915. The current allotment is a subdivided portion of the original lot. The dwelling precedes the 1959 subdivision.
Please <click here> to view photos of 22 Daly Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Duval Plan of Part Gawler Town n.d.
- Gawler rate Assessment Book East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 155/46
- ‘Gawler Corporation.’ Bunyip (Gawler
- SA : 1863 - 1954) 23 September 1887: p.3