Daly Street 3
|Address:||3 Daly Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This large elevated double-fronted Federation-era villa with south projecting bay is constructed of coursed dressed bluestone with face red brick quoins. The villa demonstrates elaborate high Victorian detailing in the corbelling to the eaves and cast-iron panels to verandah. The hipped roof includes two gablets to the main elevation, all clad with corrugated metal, and finished with timber finials and slatted panels to gable ends. The windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes and the door is timber panelled and located to the projecting south bay. The return bullnose verandah is clad with corrugated metal, supported on timber posts with cast-iron frieze panels and corner brackets. The verandah is accessed by broad slate-edge, splayed steps with rendered low walls and end piers. Prominent chimney is of overpainted brick with dentilled cap.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed around 1903, the substantial Federation-era villa at 3 Daly Street, Gawler East, dates from the tail end of Gawler’s boom period and demonstrates the ongoing uptake and development of the ‘Nob Hill’ area with premium residences for the town’s successful businessmen. The fine villa has generous proportions, a distinctive double-height and double-gabled verandah and elaborate timber fretwork. The elevated setting is enhanced by the substantial front setback.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. William Paxton, Adelaide businessman and entrepreneur of Burra Mines fortune, held large portions of land in Gawler in the mid-1840s. In 1849, a portion of Section 4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, the area between Lyndoch Road and the South Para River and between East Terrace and High Street was surveyed and subdivided for sale by Paxton.
An undated historic plan indicates that the subject property, Allotment 355, was first held by George Wyld as part of a much larger large holding which extended along both sides of Daly Street [noted in the rate assessment book as ‘Middle Road’] as well as elsewhere in Gawler East. Wyld had purchased the land in 1857. The plan and the 1859 rate books indicate that Wyld, owned Lots 355 and 356 on the east side and lots 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 on the west. Wyld mortgaged some of the land to Henry Ayers, however Wyld defaulted on the loan and it was sold in 1865.
By 1868 Lot 355 had been purchased by one of Gawler’s first settlers, William Hope Popham, Medical Doctor. Together with the adjoining lot to the north, number 354, the land was rated as cultivated land, paddock or fenced land for over twenty years. In this time the property had transferred to Popham’s son, Francis William Home Popham following his death in 1871. The property was still undeveloped in 1891, neither generations residing there but at the nearby residence in High Street, ‘Craiglea’. At some stage between 1 891 and 1903 the original allotment was subdivided, forming two lots facing Daly Street. Historic titles indicate that the property was transferred to Annie May Follett, wife of Albert Charles Follett, Draper of Gawler in 1903. This may correlate with the date of Popham’s death in 1903. The property was later owned by William Hicks in 1911 and Joseph Henry Bennett, Lecturer, in 1913. The date of construction of the dwelling is unknown, likely occurring shortly after 1891.
Please <click here> to view photos of 3 Daly Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Duval ‘Plan of Part of Gawler Town’ n.d.
- Gawler rate Assessment Book East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 709/137
- Wiliam Home Popham https://www.gawlerhistory.com/Popham_William_Home