Daly Street 6
|Address:||6 Daly Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This single-storey, double-fronted asymmetrical bungalow demonstrates an unusual architectural form. It is constructed of dressed sandstone with red brick dressings on a rubble plinth. The Dutch-gable roof has louvred vent and is clad with corrugated metal. Gable ends are finished with strapped fibre cement and weatherboard, topped with horn finials. Windows are paired timber-framed, double-hung sashes with leaded sidelights. The timber panelled door is half-glazed with a leadlight panel and leaded sidelights. Chimneys are of face brick with rendered bands. The deep return verandah is enclosed beneath the main roof on squat pyramidal piers with a rendered wall with ruled ashlar finish and rendered coping. The front boundary is fenced with a non-original cast-aluminium palisade.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed in 1924, the interwar-era bungalow at 6 Daly Street, Gawler, demonstrates the ongoing practice of infill development with quality residential design within the highly regarded ‘Nob Hill’ of Gawler East. Aesthetically, the bungalow is atypical for Gawler, yet its high level of integrity, detail and fine use of local stone and brickwork ensures that it harmoniously integrates with the surrounding nineteenth and early twentieth-century building stock.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. William Paxton, Adelaide businessman and entrepreneur of Burra Mines fortune, held large portions of land in Gawler in the mid-1840s. In 1849, a portion of Section 4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, the area between Lyndoch Road and the South Para River and between East Terrace and High Street was surveyed and subdivided for sale by Paxton.
An undated historic plan indicates that the subject property, Allotment 355, was first held by George Wyld as part of a much larger large holding which extended along both sides of Daly Street [noted in the rate assessment book as ‘Middle Road’] as well as elsewhere in Gawler East. It is understood that Wyld had purchased the land in 1857 however Wyld is not listed as an owner in rate books until 1859, at which time the property was mortgaged to Paxton.
The plan and the 1 859 rate books indicate that Wyld, owned Lots 355 and 356 on the east side and lots 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 on the west. Wyld mortgaged some of the land to Henry Ayers, however Wyld defaulted on the loan and it was sold in 1865, to Dr William Popham. Popham, a notable local identity then established an impressive home, ‘Craiglea’, fronting High Street and the subject Daly Street land flanked the rear. Much of the land remained undeveloped, including Part Lot 292, the subject property. William Popham mortaged his entire property to his son, Francis William Hope Popham, in 1870; Francis took ownership from 1872. Francis’ wife, Ann, held title to the large holding after her husband transferred it to her in 1897. While much of it was sold in 1903, Ann retained some allotments, including the subject lot, and leased them to Dr Fooks, then Dr Alfred Stokes in 1910 and Dr Eric Lewis in 1915.
Ann Popham sold the street-frontage of Lots 291 and 292 (to one third their original depth) to Edward Gray, Fitter, in 1920. Gray and his wife may have been more than factory workers, purchasing a significant amount of land in the area and constructing the adjoining bungalow at No.8 Daly in 1925. Meanwhile Robert Ernest Button, Draper, and his wife Catherine Mabel purchased Part Lot 292 from Gray in 1924 and built the subject dwelling at No. 6.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 6 Daly Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Duval ‘Plan of Part of Gawler Town’ n.d.
- “Edwards Ken – A History of 8 Daly Street Gawler East 2009” on gawlerhistory.com
- Gawler Rate Assessment Books East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 340/3
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 1346/153