Daly Street 9
|Address:||9 Daly Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This large single-storey, double-fronted villa of late-Victorian style is situated in a large garden setting. It is constructed of dressed sandstone with red face brick dressings. The hipped roof is clad with corrugated galvanised iron with a central gablet detail finished with a carved timber bargeboard and finial. Chimneys of red face brick with shaped brick caps are evident. The windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes to either side of the central panelled timber door with leadlight glazing to the sidelights and fanlight. The hipped bullnose verandah features a central gablet over the entry and is clad with overpainted corrugated galvanised iron. The verandah is supported on paired timber posts with cast-iron frieze panels and is accessed by wide rendered brick steps. The front boundary is defined by an early rubble stone wall with arched brick coping and a woven wire gate.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed around 1 903, the substantial late-Victorian era dwelling at 9 Daly Street, Gawler East, dates from the tail end of Gawler’s boom period and demonstrates the ongoing uptake and development of the ‘Nob Hill’ area with premium residences for the town’s successful businessmen. While simply composed, the generously proportioned cottage and extant stone walling distinguish the place. The dwelling is further elevated by high quality masonry and embellishment including double gablet over the verandah entrance and cast iron detail.
A generous garden setting, mature Norfolk Island Pine (Araucaria heterophylla) and original stone and brick wall to the front boundary complete the presentation. The residence is associated with local builder, Matthew Wilson Forgie, of notable local building company Taylor and Forgie.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. William Paxton, Adelaide businessman and entrepreneur of Burra Mines fortune, held large portions of land in Gawler in the mid-1840s. In 1851, a portion of Section 4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, the area between Lyndoch Road and the South Para River and between East Terrace and High Street was surveyed and subdivided for sale by Paxton.
An undated historic plan indicates that the subject property, Allotment 354 was not purchased in the original sale; rate books indicate it was taken up by 1868 by Dr William Home Popham as part of his expansive landholding in the immediate area. Popham had constructed his large dwelling, ‘Craiglea’ fronting High Street in 1858 and this land was located to the rear of the main allotment.
It remained undeveloped, undivided, as well as rated with the adjoining lot 355 to Popham until at least 1891. In 1903, part of the allotment was purchased by Matthew Wilson Forgie, Carpenter and his wife Sarah. Matthew Forgie was a son of Alexander, prominent local businessman and proprietor of Taylor and Forgie Gawler builders. The property transferred from Forgie to Mary Margaret Ruediger, wife of William Augustus Ruediger, Auctioneer, in 1906, and then Arthur Dawson Jordan, Draper, in 1910.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 9 Daly Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Duval ‘Plan of Part of Gawler Town’ n.d.
- Edwards A History of 8 Daly Street Gawler East 2009
- Gawler Rate Assessment Books East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 340/3
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 710/68