Duffield Street 5 - Pine Lodge
|Also known as:||Pine Lodge|
|Address:||5 Duffield Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This substantial mid-Victorian era villa with part basement sublevel beneath the verandah, is situated in a very generous garden setting on a prominent elevated site overlooking the Gawler East escarpment. The residence is constructed of random coursed sandstone with red brick quoins and dressings, with hipped roof and projecting hipped south bay clad with overpainted corrugated galvanised iron. The north side elevation includes a double-height canted bay.
The grand villa features red face brick chimneys with corbelled caps. The double-fronted symmetrical façade includes timber-framed, double-hung sashes with exterior shutters to either side of a central timber panelled door with sidelights and arched fanlight. The return concave verandah is clad with overpainted corrugated galvanised iron roofing and is supported on paired square timber posts, trellis style.
The timber verandah is enclosed by timber lattice panels and is supported on heavy rendered columns; each bay originally contained a decorative cast iron frieze, most are now missing. Entry to the verandah is via a substantial flight of central steps with rendered stone walls and end piers. The rear (east) elevation is divided into bays by the projecting rear wings including a large semi-detached gabled wing, possibly an early addition. Fronting the rear elevation is a covered walkway or verandah with parapeted roof. Distant from the villa is a detached outbuilding, likely a stable or small coach house.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed in 1870 for Thomas Fotheringham, the substantial villa at 5 Duffield Street, Gawler East, dates from Gawler’s boom period and demonstrates the uptake and development of the ‘Nob Hill’ area with premium residences for the town’s successful businessmen and their families. The fine mid-Victorian era villa has generous proportions and elevated setting including substantial front setback and garden surrounds. The property is associated with a number of notable figures including Thomas Fotheringham, proprietor of Gawler’s hugely successful first brewing company, Fotheringham’s Brewery, as well as a wine and spirit business, the Exchange Hotel and South End Hotel.
Pine Lodge is also associated with Hannah Barnet, widow of William Barnet, founder of ‘The Bunyip’ newspaper.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
In 1851, 12 years after Light Finniss and Co-produced the Gawler Town Plan and a land grant was made to Gawler's original Scottish proprietors, the plan of Gawler East was lodged with the Land Titles Office. In 1858, Frederick Harrison acquired Allotment 306.
After his death in 1861, it passed back to William Paxton, one of the original promoters of Gawler East. In 1 865, Paxton disposed of all his East Ward holding to individual buyers. TJ Markey bought the land comprising allotments 222, 223, 306 and 307 from Paxton, together with two half-acre blocks to the south, 221 and 308, extending from High Street to Duffield Street and built a workshop and sheds on the High Street portion. His machine shop was located opposite, on the other side of the road between High Street and Murray Street.
Thomas Fotheringham bought the land from Markey in 1870 and built Pine Lodge in 1872. Thomas came to Gawler in 1856 to join his older and younger brothers James and Robert, in Fotheringham’s Brewery on Julian Terrace (the first in Gawler) and in their wine and spirit business. He married Emily Morgan, a sister of Sir William Morgan and they had three children.
In 1866 Thomas took over the business and opened a spirit store. He owned the Exchange Hotel and property south of it and the South End Hotel and land to the south in Murray Street. Thomas died in 1894 at the age of 65 after 23 years in Pine Lodge. The estate was transferred to Emily that year and she let Pine Lodge to RJ Lavis. Emily died in 1897 and Sidney Fotheringham ran the brewery and hotels, administered by her trustees. The South Australian Brewing Co bought the brewery in 1932.
Hannah Barnet, widow, bought Pine Lodge in 1899. Her husband William (1834 -1895) was born in Kinross, Scotland. He had arrived in South Australia in 1854 and Gawler in 1857. In 1863, he founded the Local newspaper ‘The Bunyip’ newspaper. Hannah died in 1921 aged 78 after living at Pine Lodge for 22 years. Their three daughters continued to live there, the title remaining in Barnet ownership until 1969.
From 1955 to 1959, a Mrs. Murphy ran the residence as a boarding house. The acre of land on the southern boundary was sold, leaving the estate with the grounds originally held by Frederick Harrison in 1860. More recently, the property has been reduced to the portion fronting Duffield Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Duval ‘Plan of Part of Gawler Town’ n.d.
- Gawler Rate Assessment Books East Ward
- Hignett & Company Gawler Heritage Study
- Whitelock Gawler: Colonel Light’s Country Town