Duffield Street 9
|Address:||9 Duffield Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This grand, double-fronted symmetrical Victorian villa is elevated on its site, with a generous setting and includes a half-basement level. It is constructed of random coursed sandstone, tuck-pointed, with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The corrugated metal hipped roof is punctuated with overpainted brick chimneys with corbelled caps. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung multipaned sashes to either side of a central timber panelled door with arched head and fanlight. The return concave verandah is clad with corrugated metal, supported on square timber posts and includes carved timber corner brackets and a timber balustrade with cast-iron panels. Grand central steps provide access to the dwelling, featuring splayed rendered side walls with arched coping and overpainted brick piers.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed between 1861 and 1868 for James Fotheringham, the substantial villa at 9 Duffield Street, Gawler East, dates from Gawler’s boom period and demonstrates the uptake and development of the ‘Nob Hill’ area with premium residences for the town’s successful businessmen and their families. The fine mid-Victorian era villa has generous proportions and elevated setting including substantial front setback and garden surrounds. The property is also associated with James Ferguson.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
In 1851, 12 years after Light Finniss and Co-produced the Gawler Town Plan and a land grant was made to Gawler's original Scottish proprietors, the plan of Gawler East was lodged with the Land Titles Office. William Paxton, one of the original promoters of Gawler East had held a large proportion of the land. In 1865, Paxton disposed of all his East Ward holding to individual buyers.
Historic mapping dated c.1859 indicates that the subject lots had not been sold in the initial auction. Rate books, however, note that from 1860 Allotment 219 (fronting High Street) was owned by John Auld; Auld also owned the adjacent lots 215, 216, 217 and 218 at the time. Allotment 310 (fronting Duffield Street) was held by Paxton until at least 1865. Rate books for the period 1862-1867 are not available to confirm ownership of the title during that period.
In 1868, the assessment is recorded with James Ferguson being the owner and occupier of ‘residence and land’, rated together with allotment 310. Given the high price, it can be assumed that this is referring to the subject dwelling. Ferguson retained the title and occupancy until around 1882, after which the property was occupied by George Loveridge then others.
Please <click here> to view photos of 9 Duffield Street.
- Duval ‘Plan of Part of Gawler Town’ n.d.
- Gawler Rate Assessment Books East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 226/147
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 1630/53
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 4179/213