East Terrace 4

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 4 East Terrace
Town or Locality: Gawler East
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

DESCRIPTION:

This substantial double-fronted single-storey symmetrical Victorian-era residence is of face bluestone construction, with early additions to the rear and side. Fine detail includes vermiculated rendered quoins and tuck-pointed masonry. The hipped roof is punctuated by original rendered chimneys with moulded caps. The roof is clad with corrugated iron, as is the bullnose return verandah which extends on three sides, with central gablet detail over the main entrance. The verandah includes fine timber detailing to the frieze, brackets and posts. The façade features a central entrance door with leadlight sidelights and fanlight flanked by paired timber-framed double-hung sash windows. The reproduction cast metal fence and gates and modern garage are recent additions.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

The residence at 4 East Terrace, Gawler East, demonstrates the ongoing expansion and demand for housing in Gawler’s suburban subdivisions throughout the final quarter of the nineteenth century on the back of commercial and industrial progress. The largely intact example of a generously sized cottage form demonstrates fine masonry detail and cast iron embellishment using local materials. Of interest is the association with William Ayling, son of notable Clerk and Overseer of Works for Mudla Wirra South, Munno Para East and Gawler, Charles Ayling. William developed the property while he was Clerk for the Barossa District Council, under which local governance the property fell.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

The original Corporation of Gawler, established in 1857, extended as far east as East Terrace; the land to the east was part of the Barossa West District Council. In 1876 the land situated between East Terrace and Crown Street was surveyed for subdivision by George Warren to form ‘Gulf View’ comprising of 16 allotments and Bishop Street. The area was situated in the southern half of Section 6, Hundred of Nuriootpa, part of the land originally granted to John Reid in the Gawler Special Survey of 1 839. Residential development appeared to have been established quickly from that date.

Available Certificates of Title date back to 1906 when the property was owned by William Thomas Ayling son of Charles Ayling. At the time William was employed as the Barossa District Council Clerk. Title passed from Ayling to Ethel Maude Othams, wife of Maurice Fairfax Othams, Company Secretary of Gawler in 1915.

Please <click here> to view photos of 4 East Terrace.


Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.

Sources

East Terrace 4
East Terrace 4


Memories of East Terrace 4

Do you remember East Terrace 4 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.