Edith Street 11
|Address:||11 Edith Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
The elevated single-storey double-fronted villa has an asymmetrical façade with projecting gabled bay. Of dressed, tooled bluestone construction with face red brick quoins and dressings, the late-Victorian design includes fine detail. The hipped and gabled roofscape is finished with non-original corrugated steel and features overpainted face brick chimneys with corbelled caps. The façade features a convex curved verandah on timber posts with cast iron lave brackets and frieze and non-original timber balustrade. A wide entrance stair with rendered masonry piers and walls leads to the entrance which includes a panelled timber door. Window openings include timber-framed double-hung sashes, paired to the projecting front bay. The bay includes a paired window set surmounted by a moulded red brick pediment and gable vent in distinctive Gawler style with the barge finished by a turned timber finial and cast iron lace trim. The frontage is defined by a non-original timber picket fence. Alterations include timber-framed awnings to windows, rear additions and sheds and a rendered finish to the west side elevation.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The villa at 11 Edith Street, Gawler East, was likely constructed in the early 1880s by blacksmith Henry Crump. As such, its demonstrates the late-nineteenth-century uptake of the Gawler East subdivision from 1873 for quality residential development. It is a fine and largely externally intact example of a dwelling of its scale and era, with distinctive Gawlerstyle composition, detailing and mouldings, finely detailed stonework, brick dressings and iron embellishment.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 4 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to John Reid and Henry Dundas Murray in October 1839. The subdivision of this land, part of Section No.4, Hundred of Nuriootpa, appears to have been surveyed and subdivided prior to 1 863 but was not offered for sale until March 1873. The earliest recording of the land within rate books indicates ownership by William Tardif, an English carpenter, who arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship 'Pestonjee Bomanjee' with his wife Mary (nee Le Sauvage). Tardif went on to become a partner in prominent Gawler building company 'Deland and Tardif' who were responsible for a number of public buildings, including the Gawler Institute and the former Bank of Adelaide.
The earliest Certificate of Title shows the original allotment to include the portion currently of 2 Short Street. The rate books indicate that there was no dwelling on the site until after 1882, when it was transferred from Edward Potter to Caroline Wilhelmina Crump, wife of Henry Crump, blacksmith. A house is recorded in the rate books from 1885. It remained in the Crump family until 1897 when it was subdivided from the adjacent Short Street portion of land and transferred to Sarah Ann Mather, wife of engineer Henry James Mather. The property includes a private road to the rear, accessed from Blanch street.
Please <click here> to view photos of 11 Edith Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Gawler Rate Assessment Books East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT347/96
- LTO Certificate of Title CT710/161
- "Tardif William - Gawler." gawlerhistory.com n.p. 2020.