Eighth Street 16
|Address:||16 Eighth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This prominent single-storey, double-fronted Victorian villa with projecting bay is located on a corner allotment. It is constructed of dressed bluestone to the façade and sandstone rubble side walls, with a tuck-pointed finish and overpainted brick dressings. The hipped roof with projecting gable is clad with corrugated metal, with a parapeted wall to the projecting bay featuring canted brick detail. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes with shaped brick hood mould to the projecting bay and the main door features a fanlight. Concave verandah to the facade is clad with corrugated galvanised iron and supported on square timber posts with simple cast-iron frieze and corner brackets. The original fence is of rendered masonry and brick detail and piers, with a non-original wrought-iron gate.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The residence at 16 Eighth Street, Gawler West demonstrates the marked increase in residential development in Gawler South attracted to the area by the establishment of local industry; May Bros. Engineering Works was established in 1885 in nearby Eighteenth Street, Bassett Town. Frederick Eyers, the developer of this property was employed at May’s as a wheelwright at that time. The Victorian-era villa displays a distinctive ‘Gawler’ typology in its composition and use of local materials and design devices, complete with defining stone wall to front boundary.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to Henry Dundas Murray and E Moore in 1839. A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Mudla Wirra was laid out as ‘Gawler Town South’ in 1858. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, located nearby to the west in 1857. According to the original plan of subdivision and Certificate of Title, Eighth Street was originally named ‘Water Street’. While the eastern side of the street was largely developed with smaller cottages, the western side evolved to include a number of substantial dwellings on the larger allotments between the industrial sites.
The history of ownership is unclear prior to the issuing of the first title in 1 889, at which stage it was owned by Frederick Eyers, Wheelwright of Willaston. The title then passed to Clifford Frederick Eyers, Iron Turner of Gawler Town South in 1910 and Susan Brown, wife of Matthew Brown, Produce Merchant in 1920. Frederick Eyers had arrived in the Gawler district in 1863 and was working as a wheelwright to May Bros when the title was drawn, having done so since 1885; he nominated as Gawler Candidate for North Ward in 1901 [but not elected] and was an active community member as part of the Gawler West Methodist Church and Sunday School, the MU Oddfellows and the Wilmington Lodge.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 16 Eighth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- ‘SOCIAL AND PERSONAL’. Bunyip 31 March 1939: p.9.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 527/161. Gawler T
- GRO ‘Gawler Town South’ 1858