Eighth Street 22
|Address:||22 Eighth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This single-storey, double-fronted, symmetrical interwar bungalow is constructed of coursed dressed sandstone with a tuck-pointed finish, and overpainted brick dressings. The transverse gable roof is clad with corrugated metal and features horned timber finials to gable ends. Windows are timber-framed tripartite groups with casement and fixed sashes and leadlight highlights. The central door is timber-framed, with half-glazed panel and leadlight glazing to sidelights and fanlight. Chimneys are constructed of plain brick. The verandah is a continuation of the main roof form, supported by timber posts with carved timber brackets on rendered masonry piers.
A rendered stone fence with brick piers and wrought-iron panels and gate defines the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The dwelling at 22 Eighth Street, Gawler South, is likely associated with development of allotments throughout South Australia following World War 1 by agencies and banks assisting returned service personnel with affordable housing schemes. The bungalow, a reasonably uncommon typology in Gawler is a good and largely externally intact example constructed of local stone and brick with distinctive carved timber embellishment and tablet entrance.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to Henry Dundas Murray and E Moore in 1839. A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Mudla Wirra was laid out as ‘Gawler South’ in 1858. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, located nearby to the west in 1857. According to the original plan of subdivision and Certificate of Title, Eighth Street was originally named ‘Water Street’. While the eastern side of the street was largely developed with smaller cottages, the western side evolved to include a number of substantial dwellings on the larger allotments between the industrial sites.
Allotment ‘U’ was held by Walter Duffield, ‘Merchant’, in 1868 when the first available title is dated. Duffield had moved to Gawler in 1847 and purchased the Victoria Flour Mill, at that stage located in Jacob Street, Gawler. After three fires and rebuilding each time he relocated his business to Gawler West adjacent to the Gawler Railway Station and nearer to his Para Para Estate. A notable pastoralist of northern South Australia and parliamentarian from 1857 until 1871 , Duffield was also active in broader State and local organisations.
Duffield died in 1882, following which the Eighth Street property was transferred to Minna Wachsmuth, of Gawler, Widow. Minna’s estate passed to Otto Wachsmuth in 1890, and thereafter to Patience Sanderson, wife of Robert Sanderson, Gawler miner in 1897. Sanderson held the property until 1920 when it was transferred to Herbert James Gwynne, Gawler Hairdresser. Gwynne only owned the property for two years before it was transferred to the State Bank of South Australia who then transferred it to the War Service Homes Commissioner in 1935. The Certificate of Title indicates the property was transferred to Harold Charles Urlwin of Gawler, Auctioneer (and returned serviceman) in 1935, however a South Australian General Records Office Application states that Urlwin was owner of 22 Eighth Street in 1926.
Architecturally, the building design indicates that the dwelling was likely constructed during the 1920s, possibly replacing an earlier dwelling constructed by Walter Duffield for staff of his nearby Victoria Mill. The construction date and title suggest that it may have been financed and built by the government as part of their scheme to facilitate affordable housing for returned servicemen.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 22 Eighth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography ‘Walter Duffield’ 1972
- ‘Urlwin Harold Charles’ https://localwiki.org/adelaide-hills/GRO_Merge_%27U%27
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 1 18/187 1868