Eighth Street 24
|Address:||24 Eighth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This triple-fronted asymmetrical villa displays simple, bold Victorian detailing and is set back from the street with a generous front garden. It is constructed of random coursed bluestone with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The façade features projecting bays to either end of the façade with Gawler-style detailing to the gable vent. The hipped roof with projecting gable and hipped forms is clad with corrugated galvanised iron, with turned timber finial to the gable end. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes with exterior shutters. Chimneys are of overpainted brick with corbelled caps. The concave verandah, set between the projecting bays, is clad with corrugated galvanised iron and supported on a central square timber post with cast-iron frieze and corner brackets.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The dwelling at 24 Eighth Street, Gawler South, demonstrates the marked increase in quality residential development in the area bolstered by Gawler’s prosperity and attracted by the establishment of local industry. The fine and substantially intact late-Victorian era residence displays distinctive local materials and typology.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to Henry Dundas Murray and E Moore in 1839. A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Mudla Wirra was laid out as ‘Gawler Town South’ in 1858. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, located nearby to the west in 1857. According to the original plan of subdivision and Certificate of Title, Eighth Street was originally named ‘Water Street’. While the eastern side of the street was largely developed with smaller cottages, the western side evolved to include a number of substantial dwellings on the larger allotments between the industrial sites. Allotment V had been subdivided prior to 1922 and the title at this time was held by David Thomas, of Gawler South, Boiler Maker.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 24 Eighth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 1247/94
- Presgrave Gawler Town South 1858