Eighth Street 30

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 30 Eighth Street
Town or Locality: Gawler South
Built by: James Jones
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

DESCRIPTION:

This large mid-late Victorian villa is set well back from the street on an elevated site and includes a semi-basement level to the front. It is constructed of overpainted random rubble with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The hipped roof is clad with corrugated metal and crowned with overpainted brick chimneys with dentilled caps. Windows are timberframed, double hung sashes to either side of the central door. The concave verandah is clad with corrugated galvanised iron with non-original wrought-iron trellis posts and is accessed by broad central steps with rendered piers.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

The dwelling at 30 Eighth Street, Gawler South, demonstrates the marked increase in quality residential development in the immediate area being bolstered by Gawler’s prosperity and attracted by the establishment of local industry nearby. The fine and substantially externally intact late-Victorian era residence displays commanding proportions. The residence was constructed for prominent local businessman and politician, James Jones, machinist.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to Henry Dundas Murray and E Moore in 1839. A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Mudla Wirra was laid out as ‘Gawler Town South’ in 1858. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, located nearby to the west in 1857. According to the original plan of subdivision and Certificate of Title, Eighth Street was originally named ‘Water Street’. While the eastern side of the street was largely developed with smaller cottages, the western side evolved to include a number of substantial dwellings on the larger allotments between the industrial sites.

It is unclear who the original purchaser of the allotment was, however the first available title for Part Lot W dated November 1889 lists James Jones, Gawler Machinist, as owner. Jones had arrived in Gawler in the 1840s with his father, James Jones, and his brother, John Jones, where they established a machinist and wheelwright business in Murray Street. Jones was an active trade unionist and stood as President in the Gawler Trades and Labour Council as well as Chair of the Gawler South District Council. In 1893 Jones stood as a Labour Party candidate for Barossa. He died in 1906.

Please <click here> to view a photo of 30 Eighth Street.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.


Related Articles

Sources

  • ‘CONCERNING PEOPLE’ The Register 22 December 1906: p.9.
  • LTO Certificate of Title CT 534/194
  • Presgrave ‘Gawler South’ map 1858.
Eighth Street 30
Eighth Street 30


Memories of Eighth Street 30

Do you remember Eighth Street 30 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.