Eighth Street 4
|Address:||4 Eighth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This small double-fronted, mid-Victorian cottage is set back from the street constructed of random coursed sandstone with a hipped roof of overpainted corrugated galvanised iron. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes to either side of a central panelled timber door. Chimneys are overpainted brick with corbelled caps. The concave verandah is clad with corrugated metal and supported on turned timber posts with cast-iron frieze and brackets. A non-original aluminium palisade fence defines the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Likely constructed during the mid-Victorian era, the cottage at 4 Eighth Street demonstrates the rapid increase in residential development of Gawler South from the late 1850s in response to completion of the nearby Gawler Railway Station and subsequent industrial growth and prosperity of the township. The cottage is a good and largely intact representative example of a mid-Victorian era town residence constructed from local materials.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to Henry Dundas Murray and E Moore in 1839. A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Mudla Wirra was laid out as ‘Gawler Town South’ in 1858. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, located nearby to the west in 1857. According to the original plan of subdivision and Certificate of Title, Eighth Street was originally named ‘Water Street’.
The original purchaser and developer of the cottage is unknown however the subject allotment, Lot i, was owned by Annie Cecilia McEwin, Spinster, in 1912. Annie was the only daughter of Alexander Lyell McEwin and sister to (later Sir) Lyell McEwin; she married Harold Snow, Farmer of Rochester, near Hart, in 1915. Annie died in 1921 at the young age of 30 after which the property passed to Annie Jane Paterson of Gawler West, widow.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 4 Eighth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- ‘Opening of Memorial Church at Hart’ Blyth Agriculturist (SA: 1908 - 1954) Friday 2 November 1923 p.2.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 935/55
- Presgrave ‘Gawler South’ map 1858