Fourth Street 38
|Address:||38 Fourth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This single-storey, double-fronted asymmetrical villa is of quality Victorian construction. It is constructed of dressed bluestone with overpainted brick dressings with a tuck-pointed finish. The transverse gable roof with projecting gable to front is clad with corrugated metal with parapeted gable ends with brick coping, heavy cornice and dentilled hood mould. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes with arched heads and external shutters, and the door is a half-glazed timber panel. Chimneys are of overpainted brick with ornate detailing and dentilled caps. The straight hipped verandah is supported on timber posts with cast-iron lace detailing. A non-original picket fence with woven wire gate define the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed during the mid-to-late Victorian era for local blacksmith, Richard Henry Richards, the villa at 38 Fourth Street, Gawler South, is associated with the period of heightened residential growth in Gawler’s suburban townships as a result of the increased levels of manufacturing, industry and service to the amplified agricultural and mining activity of the surrounding regions. Constructed of local stone and brick, with distinctive ‘Gawler’ aesthetic, the villa responds to its corner location with equally detailed dual frontages.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
A portion of Section 3 of the Hundred of Mudla Wirra, 379 acres originally allocated to Edward Moore in 1839, was surveyed and subdivided for sale as ‘Gawler South’ in 1858. It was offered for sale on 22 March 1858 by Green and Wadham land agents on behalf of the proprietors. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, nearby, to the west in 1857. The area provided affordable land and generous allotments and thereafter general ‘suburban’ development occurred. The original plan of subdivision indicates that Fourth Street was first named ‘Queen Street’.
The first available certificate of title, dated 1913, indicates that the owner of Part Allotment 160 at the time was Richard Henry Richards, Blacksmith. He transferred the property to his wife, Annie, in 1930 however following Annie’s death in 1933 the property passed back to Richards and remained in his ownership until his own death in 1948. Richard Richards was Gawler Councillor for South Ward in 1934.
Please <click here> to view photos of 38 Fourth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 944/111
- Presgrave ‘Gawler South’ map 1858