Fourth Street 44
|Address:||44 Fourth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This single-storey, double-fronted mid-Victorian symmetrical cottage is constructed of coursed tooled bluestone with red brick quoins and dressings with ruled rubble side walls. The hipped roof is clad with corrugated galvanised iron and features red face brick chimneys with dentilled caps. Windows are timber-framed, double hung sashes to either side of the central timber panelled door with sidelights and fanlight. The concave verandah is clad with corrugated galvanised iron and supported on square timber posts with cast-iron frieze and corner brackets. A non-original picket fence defines the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Likely constructed between 1884 and late 1890s for local carpenter Stephen Finch, the cottage at 44 Fourth Street, Gawler West, demonstrates the period of heightened residential growth in Gawler’s suburban townships as a result of the increased levels of manufacturing, industry and service to the amplified agricultural and mining activity of the surrounding regions. Constructed of local stone and brick with cast iron embellishment, the dwelling is a fine and largely intact example of a late-Victorian era cottage.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
A portion of Section 3 of the Hundred of Mudla Wirra, 379 acres originally allocated to Edward Moore in 1839, was surveyed and subdivided for sale as ‘Gawler South’ in 1858. It was offered for sale on 22 March 1858 by Green and Wadham land agents on behalf of the proprietors. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, nearby, to the west in 1857. The area provided affordable land and generous allotments and thereafter general ‘suburban’ development occurred. The original plan of subdivision indicates that Fourth Street was first named ‘Queen Street’.
The original owner of the allotment is unknown. Stephen Finch, Carpenter, was holder of the title in 1890 and owned it until the property was transferred to Edith Luisa Wade, wife of William Wade, in 1912. Stephen Finch had been involved in the local community as Councillor of East Ward until 1903 and teacher at the Tod Street Methodist Sunday School from 1850 until 1903. The cottage is believed to have been constructed between 1884 and 1900, however little else is known due to rate assessment books being unavailable for these dates.
Please <Click here> to view photos of 44 Fourth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Hignett Gawler Heritage Study: Stage 1 p.1 31.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 540/139 1890.
- Presgrave ‘Gawler South’ map 1858.