Gawler Blocks Hall Angle Vale Road 65
|Also known as:||Evanston Gardens Hall|
|Address:||Angle Vale Road|
|Town or Locality:||Evanston Gardens|
|Year constructed:||c. 1945|
This Hall was transported from Sandy Creek in c1945. It was enhanced by the Gawler Blocks community to become a focal point for meetings, the regular Gawler Blocks dances, and Gawler Blocks Tennis Club.
The Gawler Blocks Committee created a very active Tennis Club and ran regular 60/40 dances on Saturday nights. These dances were very popular and featured Kevin Howard's Band [among others] and were alcohol-free. Patrons anxious to imbibe had to travel at least 300 yards from the Hall so as to conform with the then current Licensing Laws. This dance was famous for its magnificent suppers [including strawberries and ice-cream].
A comprehensive account of the establishment of this area and the Gawler Blocks Hall was outlined in a 3 hour video taken of Mr Stan Coles in recent years, recorded by Brian Thom.
A written transcript of Stan’s interview was created to coincide with the Town of Gawler establishing the new Evanston Gardens Community facility, which was constructed to blend harmoniously with the old hall and its subsequent upgrading. The foyer of the new facility was dedicated to the memory of Stan and Rose Coles; in recognition of the meritorious service of the Coles family to maintain and develop the Hall and in the organizing of many activities in and around the Hall, over many years.
Please click here to see photos of Gawler Blocks Hall.
Click here to view the photos of the upgraded facilities at Evanston Gardens [Gawler Blocks] Hall and Council facility