Covernton Dr John Selby
|Type of person||Individual|
|Date of birth||1907
|Principal occupation||Medical Practitioner|
|Date of death||1968|
Dr John Selby Covernton was born on 2-11-1907.
He married Ann Weld Fletcher on 23 June 1934. At St Peter's College Chapel. They had five children.
A short timeline of his life:
District of Munno Para East appointed Dr Covernton to the Board of Health as District Health Officer. Dr Covernton resigned in 1953, being replaced by Dr D.F. Hannon.
From The Bunyip newspaper regarding the Hutchinson Hospital
Medical Superintendent — The Board is also grateful to Dr. J. S. Covernton who carried out the duties of Medical Superintendent during the year. This work is entirely honorary, and includes a course of lectures delivered to the probationer nurses on anatomy and physiology.
Vice President of the Gawler Institute.
• June 16: Appointed Honorary Captain Army Medical Corps.
August 15: The Bunyip newspaper announced that Dr Covernton was being sent to the Army’s Woodside Barracks where he would be under the instruction of Dr Major Lewis (another Gawler Doctor).
• Appointed Medical Superintendent by the Hutchison Hospital Board for the year.
• Dr Covernton elected President of the Gawler and Districts National Fitness Club.
• Welcomed Dr Alan Cherry to his Gawler Medical Practice.
• President of the Gawler Boys Club.
• Dr Covernton obtained his M.D. Degree at the Adelaide University and began a three-month post-graduate course.
• Appointed honorary paediatrician to the Adelaide Children’s Hospital
• “During his term as medical director of the M.B.H.A. the infant mortality rate dropped in S.A. to its lowest ever of 15.49 deaths in every 1000 live births.”
Dr Covernton travelled abroad to research advances in medicine, heart conditions and treatments in children.
• Dr Covernton retired as President of the Gawler Jockey Club, a position he held from 1945. (Tom Shanahan was president in 1950 while Covernton was overseas).
• Dr and Mrs Covernton moved to North Adelaide.
1968: Died 3 February 1968.
Director Mothers’ and Babies’ Health Association.
Graduated University of Adelaide
Graduate work in England.
Racer and chairman of the Gawler Jockey Club.
Researched by Margaret Howse and Allen Tiller.
To view photographs of Dr Covernton please click here.
- 1. South Australia Indexes to Marriage 1933-1937. Vol. 349. (1934). p. 2025.
- 2. 'District Health Officer.' Bunyip. (16 Jan 1953) p. 2. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96899995.
- 3. 'Hutchinson Hospital Gawler.' Bunyip (14 Feb 1936) p. 8. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96656078.
- 4. 'GAWLER INSTITUTE.' Bunyip (28 January 1938) p. 6. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96685867.
- 5. 'Military Appointments and Promotions' The Advertiser (1 August 1941) p. 12. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article44950413.
- 6. 'PERSONAL' Recorder (18 August 1941) p. 1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96307612.
- 7. 'Hutch Hospital Board Meets.' Bunyip (13 Sept 1946) p. 6. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96850585.
- 8. 'Fitness Club Opened by the Mayor.' Bunyip (13 Sept 1946) p. 1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96850568.
- 9. 'Social and Personal' Bunyip (24 May 1946) p. 4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96849753.
- 10. '77 GIRLS IN GRAND PHYSICAL DISPLAY.' Bunyip (24 October 1947) p. 1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96846056.
- 11. 'For Post-Graduate Course.' Bunyip (17 January 1947) p. 6. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96849104.
- 12. 'Returned from Abroad.' Bunyip (26 January 1951) p. 1. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article96860624.
- 13. 'Aintree's gossip of the turf' News (18 Feb 1952) p. 22. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article130825898
- 13. South Australia Indexes to Death 1967-1970. Vol. 63a. (1968). p. 830.