Fast Facts
Place type: Building
Address: 6 Twentyfirst Street
Town or Locality: Gawler South


DESCRIPTION:

This diminutive transverse gable double fronted worker’s cottage dates to the Basset Town subdivision of the 1860s and 70s, part of the early suburban development of Gawler which followed the completion of the railway link to Adelaide, and the subsequent demand for higher density development in close proximity to the station. It is constructed of sandstone rubble with ashlar finish at front and bagged/rendered side walls, with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The roof is of corrugated iron, with skillion extension at the rear. A later Federation–era bullnose verandah to front elevation has turned timber posts and mini-orb cladding enclosing one end. Three overpainted brick chimneys are evident, along with red brick capping to the parapet walls. The windows are timber-framed double-hung sashes, and there is a fourpanel timber front door. A substantial masonry fence of roughcast finish rendered stone and cement coping, along with a crimped wire front gate, defines the front boundary.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

The cottage at 6 Twentyfirst Street, Bassett (now Gawler South), demonstrates the early residential development of Gawler South and the need for simple accommodation with the establishment of the railways and local industry. The residence displays distinctive local materials and typology. Of additional interest is the connection to Joseph Manifold, of Manifold and Pimlott, local masons and builders, who may have developed the site as one of many speculative developments in Gawler.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

The site comprises a portion of allotment 78 of portion of section 3246 laid out as Bassett.

Twenty-First street was previously known as Elizabeth Street.

The township of Bassett was laid out by surveyor George Warren on land owned by Mr William Bassett jnr, part of Allotment 8, of 76 acres, originally granted to James Fotheringham as part of the Gawler Special Survey, of which 15 acres purchased from John McCallum.

William Bassett snr arrived in Gawler with his wife and two surviving children (one son having died at sea) in March 1845. The family occupied the only house at the time between Gawler and the Little Para and grew barley on the land later to become Bassett Town. William Bassett was the oldest of four surviving sons and a daughter. He later owned the Engine and Driver Hotel.

The railway link to Adelaide was completed and opened for passenger traffic on 5 October 1857. Soon after, on 2 November 1857, the initial sale of blocks was held on the grounds, with a special train put on to convey prospective buyers from Adelaide and a champagne lunch provided in the marquee.

Plan originally comprised land bounded by Station Terrace (26th Street) on the eastern side of the station, Blanch Street (18th Street), Elizabeth Street (21st Street) and William Streets (Adelaide Road), a total of 71 building blocks in all. It was extended southwards to include Coulls Street (23rd Street), Ann Street (22nd Street), Cherry Street (25th Street) and 24th Street, comprising an additional 48 blocks.

The allotment was purchased by Henry Wakefield (hairdresser) in December 1877 from Joseph Manifold (a well-known local builder) and subsequently transferred by him to his wife Elizabeth for her separate use in November 1880. The property transferred to Benjamin Betts (bootmaker) in January 1886 and thereafter to Mary Stevens, wife of Henry Stevens (farmer) in April 1904. The property then transferred to Olive King (spinster) in May 1906 and later to George Murray (blacksmith) in December 1908. In July 1911, the property transferred to Mary Bright, wife of George Bright (wheelwright) and a month later it was transferred to Frederich Hetzel in August 1911.

The date of construction of the dwelling is unknown, but likely to be in the 1860’s.

Please <click here> to view photos of 6 Twentyfirst Street.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.

Memories of Twentyfirst Street 6

Do you remember Twentyfirst Street 6 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.

Support our sponsors!