Gawler 4WD Club
|Type of organisation:||Sporting
Gawler & Districts 4WD Club Inc.
• The Club was formed in 2002 and called "The Light Four Wheel Drive Club of South Australia" meeting each month in Freeling.
• The club was incorporated in June 2002 and became a member of the South Australian Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs Inc.
• In 2008 the club name was changed to "Gawler & Districts 4WD Club Inc." and became meeting in Gawler.
• Meetings are held on the second Friday of the month (one week earlier if falls on a long w/end) at 7.30 pm in the Gawler Elderly Centre Hall. Most include a Guest Speaker.
• Currently the club has 19 family members. Members vary in age and background, from singles to families to active retirees. We are a family friendly club and very social.
• Members come from the Gawler area, Freeling, Shea Oak Log, Stockport, Truro, and One Tree Hill.
• Vehicles in the club include – Patrols, Pajeros, Prados, Rangers, Triton, Mazda BT50, Colorados, Trailblazer, Landcruisers, X Trail
• Dual range (High and Low 4WD) with reasonable clearance will be suitable for all trips.
• Membership costs are currently $55 per year. With a $10 Joining fee
• We use UHF radios and recommend each vehicle has – Recovery point’s front and rear, recovery equipment including minimum snatch strap and rated shackles, jack and jack plate, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, Sand flag. The club has 2 hand held UHF radios for visitors.
• Comprehensive Insurance (or atleast minimum third party property) is required.
• Club trips include day trips, week-ends, long week-ends and extended trips 7 – 30 days.
• Trips include – • Bendelby Ranges • Victorian High Country • Coffin Bay • Corner Country • Innamincka • Simpson Desert • Tracks in the Flinders Ranges – eg. Skytrek, Oratunga, Carinya, Warraweena, Caernarvon etc. • Bri-Glen park • Arkaroola • Mystery day trips • Social days eg. - St. Kilda Tram museum and boardwalk, Port Adelaide, Old Tailem Town, River dinner cruise etc.
• Training - We are members of the "Driver Training Unit" which runs Theory & Practical Training and we have our own Trainer - Peter Harper.
• Drivers with experience or new to four wheel driving are catered for. Training and assistance is available and encouraged on every trip via UHF radio or one on one.
• Swags and tents will be suitable for all trips; Camper Trailers are suitable for most trips. Caravans may be suitable for some trips.
• We are a responsible club and follow Trip Procedures and Club By-laws to protect tracks and the environment we enjoy. We have an excellent relationship with many property owners and strongly protect our reputation.
• Prospective members can join a trip before joining the club. Details must be on club Trip sheet and proof of vehicle insurance shown.
The club has a website www.gawler4wd.com.au and is on Facebook.