Adelaide Road 59a
|Address:||59a Adelaide Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
This is a single-storey, double-fronted Victorian-era worker’s cottage constructed of overpainted stone with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The transverse gable roof with parapeted gable ends is clad with corrugated metal, with a skillion addition to the rear.
A simple banded chimney of overpainted brick crowns the north parapet wall. The windows are timber-framed, double-hung divided sashes to either side of a central entry door.
The bullnose verandah has been clad with corrugated metal and is supported on square timber posts. A non-original timber picket defines the front boundary.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The cottage at 59 Adelaide Road, Gawler South, is a substantially externally intact example of a distinctive mid-Victorian era Gawler typology, the transverse gabled worker’s cottage typical of the type of diminutive residential development along Adelaide Road and constructed throughout Gawler South and Bassett Town at the time.
It demonstrates the concentrated residential development which occurred as a result of the establishment of the nearby Gawler Railway Station and successful industrial and commercial enterprises in Gawler South at the time.
The cottage, owned by a local ‘Fireman at Mill’, demonstrates residential development in this area as a direct result of the railway and nearby industry. It is one of a group of 3 cottages within this portion of Adelaide Road which serve to demonstrate this.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Gawler South was surveyed and subdivided for sale in 1858, following completion of the main railway to Gawler in 1857. With the new railway terminus located in Bassett Town, to the south of the main Gawler township, Adelaide Road was anticipated as the principal link between the two.
Many large individual and paired dwellings as well as small worker’s cottages were established along the major roadway to Gawler during the late nineteenth century, reflecting the successful establishment of significant industry in Gawler South at the time.
At the time the plan of subdivision was prepared, the subject allotment had not been identified.
The exact date of construction of the worker’s cottage is unknown.
The earliest Certificate of Title indicates the transfer of the property to George Redpath, a fireman at a local mill, in 1882 and again soon after to William Wesseldine Bywaters, a labourer and elected council member of Gawler District Council’s West Ward, in 1884. Bywaters owned the property until his death in 1944, after which it was transmitted to the Public Trustee for administration. The allotment was subdivided in 2013.
Please <click here> to view photos of 59a Adelaide Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title 397/239
- ‘DISTRICT COUNCIL ELECTIONS’. The Advertiser 9 July 1902: p.8.
- Warren ‘Plan of the Township of Bassett being portion of Section 8 Gawler Survey and Section 3246 Hd Munno Para’ 1858.