Bridge Street North Lot 998

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Also known as: Gawler Central Railway Station
Town or Locality: Gawler
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.

DESCRIPTION:

The Gawler Central Railway Station is a small Federation-era station building with adjacent covered waiting area. Both structures are timber-framed, with weatherboard exterior cladding to the station building, and corrugated metal sheeting to the waiting structure. The roof form is gabled to the station building and Dutch-gable to the waiting structure, both clad with corrugated metal. The verandah to the station building is a skillion continuation of the main roof, supported on timber outriggers.

STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:

Established in 1911, the Gawler Central Railway Station is associated with the extension of the original Gawler line which terminated at the Gawler Railway Station in Bassett Town and a more central position in the town centre, as well as an extended service to Angaston in the Barossa and eastern districts of South Australia.

BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:

The land on which the Gawler Central Railway Station is located was originally surveyed in 1839 as part of the Gawler township survey. The extension of the Gawler line to Angaston in 1911 required the acquisition of land and establishment of stations; ‘North Gawler’, as it was originally named, was opened in 1 911. Original facilities at the station did not include any public shelter and in 1913 Council motioned that a request be made of the Railways Department to provide one, works for which commenced in December that year. The station was renamed ‘Gawler Central’ in 1984 and converted to an unmanned station in 1994.

Please <click here> to view photos of Bridge Street North Lot 998.

Acknowledgments

This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)


The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)


Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.

www.flightpatharchitects.com.au

.

Related Articles

Sources

  • ‘Gawler Railway Station’.The Register 28 November 1913
  • ’North Gawler Railway Station’ The Register 28 May 1913.
 
Gawler Central Railway Station 2020


Memories of Bridge Street North Lot 998

Do you remember Bridge Street North Lot 998 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.