Freemason's Hall cnr Union Street Lyndoch Road

From Gawler History
(Redirected from Freemason's Hall)
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 4 Lyndoch Road
Town or Locality: Gawler East
Year constructed: 1903
Built by: Alfred Wells, Architect
Used for: Freemason Lodge
Loading map...

Lodges Meeting at Centre: • Lodge of Fidelity No.5 (constituted 1849 E.C., S.A.&N.T. 1884) • Gawler Mark Lodge No.14 (1912) • Gawler Royal Arch Chapter No.29 (1934) • Gawler Mariners Lodge No.14 (1957)

Date Built: 1903 Cost: £650 approx.

Date Consecrated: Corner Stone laid 5th December 1903

Consecrated by: The Grand Master – M.W.Bro. The Right Honourable Sir Samuel J. Way - Bart. P.C., D.C.L., LL.D. And W.Bro. D. Dunsmore Worshipful Master.

History of Centre: The Centre was built and still owned by the Lodge of Fidelity No.5 Inc. The original structure comprised a Lodge Room of 40’x 30’ x 17’ high, Festive room (presently the anteroom), entry hall, and cellar. The Centre was initially lit by gaslight, being converted to electricity some years later.

In 1923 a ‘Banqueting Room’ (Festive Hall/South) was added, capable of accommodating up to 200 people seated. Some years later a kitchen and adjoining amenities were also added.

While the Centre is not in itself heritage listed, it falls within a heritage listed area, requiring strict adherence to the Town of Gawler building and maintenance requirements. Hence the Centre still retains in common with many other buildings in Gawler, its characteristic turn of the 19th Century appearance, both inside and out.

In 2003 a lead-light window depicting the Square & Compass was donated in memory of Bro. William Russell by his widow, this being fitted in the window next to the main entrance. This included n the fanlight window above, a lead-light depicting the Level & Plumb Rule, which was donated by the widow of the late W.Bro. Victor Curd.

Points of Interest: The Gawler Masonic Centre is fittingly situated opposite Gawler’s Pioneer Park, with many of the brethren of the Lodge of Fidelity being pioneers of the region, and being prominent in many early endeavours in a wide variety of enterprises and pursuits in the ‘Colonial Athens’ and indeed the State of South Australia.

There is anecdotal evidence that a number of Lodge of Fidelity brethren, as Board members of the Gawler Institute, were perhaps partly responsible for the “Song of Australia” composed by Caroline Carleton and Carl Linger, when it was judged as the winner of a competition held by the Gawler Institute to find a National Song in 1859.

The building was to provide accommodation for the Gawler branch of the Lodge of Fidelity, Freemasons. The lodge started in Gawler in 1849 and held meetings in the Old Spot Hotel, Globe Hotel, Institute and a building formerly used as a branch of the Bank of Adelaide before building on Lyndoch Road.

Information supplied by: W.Bro. (Rev.) Shaun Taylor Lodge of Fidelity No.5,

Click here to read the Lodge of Fidelity No 5 Centenary Document.

Click here to read Lodge of Fidelity No 5 Jubilee History.

On the 5 December 1903 the foundation stone for this building was laid by Chief Justice Sir Samuel Way. The architect was Alfred Wells. The building was opened on 29 April 1904. The building and land cost 880 pounds, and the furniture was another 130 pounds.

The building was to provide accommodation for the Gawler branch of the Lodge of Fidelity, Freemasons. The lodge started in Gawler in 1849 and held meetings in the Old Spot Hotel, Globe Hotel, Institute and a building formerly used as a branch of the Bank of Adelaide before building on Lyndoch Road.

Please click here to view photos of the Freemason's Hall

Related Articles

External Links

Sources

  • History of Gawler 1837 - 1908 compiled by E H Coombe
  • W.Bro. (Rev.) Shaun Taylor
Freemasons Lodge.
Freemasons Lodge.
Advertising Board at the front entrance.
Advertising Board at the front entrance.
Lodge of Fidelity Lyndoch Road, window created 1999
Lodge of Fidelity Lyndoch Road, window created 1999


Memories of Freemason's Hall cnr Union Street Lyndoch Road

Do you remember Freemason's Hall cnr Union Street Lyndoch Road ? Then Join up and add your memory here.