Willaston School
Place type: | Building |
---|---|
Town or Locality: | Willaston |
Willaston School, Redbanks Road
On 3rd September 1864 the Bunyip reported that-
“We are pleased to perceive that the District Council of Mudla Wirra have voted £100-0-0 towards the erection of the Willaston School in the consideration of the residents of that township subscribing a similar amount.”
Work was completed quickly, as the school was opened on Monday September 4, 1865. A detailed report was published in “The South Australian Advertiser” on the 7th September, stating that the event-
“was celebrated by a public tea in the new school, at half past 4, and a public meeting in the same place at 7. The building is situated in a fine position on a rise of table land, in about the centre of Willaston, and facing the main North road. The site is admirably chosen, being clear, dry and healthy, and plenty of playground for the children, being an acre in extent. The building consists of a large schoolroom 40 x 25, well built of with slate, stone, and finished throughout with good mortar, plastered and sealed. The school-room has a height of about 14 feet to the ceiling and well ventilated. There is also a residence attached to the building for the master and mistress, consisting of three good-sized rooms; altogether the building, from its elevation, neat and substantial appearance, forms a commanding and pleasing addition to the advancing township of Willaston”.
The 7 o’clock meeting at the school was conducted by the Chairman of the Mudla Wirra District Council, Mr. H.E.Bright. He stated that the cost of the school building had risen to closer to £500 and after money raised and promised, a further £100 was still needed to ‘free the place’.
The evening’s entertainment then began. According to the Advertiser –
“Mr. Edward Roberts gave with great effect the recitation “Lord Tom Noddy” and “Bridge of Sighs”, and Mr. W.F.Loutit “Harriet’s advice to her brother”. The members of the Gawler Musical Society also sang some very nice pieces....The proceedings were brought to a close about 10 o'clock by the Gawler Musical Society leading with the National Anthem. The proceedings of the tea amounted to £10, and the collection in the evening to £6- 15s, with further promises”
The teacher, Mr. John Wilkinson moved into the new school house.
The Willaston School was closed by the Council of Education in 1878.With the opening of the Gawler Public School, the Willaston School numbers had dropped considerably.
Information taken from the “Gawler Centenary 1839 – 1939” stated that there was a private school at Willaston run by Mr. R. Latter, and afterwards Miss Filsell. Then, a Miss Myers conducted a young children’s school from 1888 for about 20 years. The number of children varied from 20 to 30. This school closed in 1909. After the school closed, it was hired out for functions such as meetings, birthday and wedding parties and card evenings.
On the south side of the school grounds, was the Mudla Wirra Council Pound. Mr. Fred Brooks, local historian, recalls that any stock found roaming by the council, would be put into the pound until the stock was collected and a fee was paid.
In the 1880s a Council Office was added to the northern end of the school structure. In 1968 Mudla Wirra District Council extended offices onto the front of the old school building. The schoolhouse to the south end was rented out for many years. The site is currently occupied by the Country Fire Service.
Please click here for photos of Willaston School.
Related Articles
References
Memories of Willaston School
Do you remember Willaston School ? Then Join up and add your memory here.