Calton Road 6
|Also known as:||Hillside|
|Address:||6 Calton Road|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler East|
This single-storey, double-fronted asymmetrical Victorian villa, with basement sublevel and projecting bay, is located on an elevated corner allotment with a generous setting, set well back from the Calton Street boundary. It is constructed of overpainted face sandstone rubble with overpainted brick dressings. The hipped roof with projecting hip bay is clad with corrugated galvanised iron with decorative acroteria to corners. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes with external shutters. The main entry is a panelled timber door with fanlight. Two large overpainted brick chimneys with corbelled caps are evident. The concave return verandah is clad with corrugate galvanised iron and supported on timber posts and enclosed by a timber balustrade. Wide splayed steps of rendered masonry with overpainted brick piers provide access to the verandah. An early stone and brick wall with arched coping defines the boundaries to Calton Road and Daly Street.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
Constructed prior to 1875, the substantial villa at 6 Calton Road, Gawler East, dates from Gawler’s boom period and demonstrates the uptake and development of the ‘Nob Hill’ area with premium residences for the town’s successful businessmen. The fine mid-Victorian era villa has generous proportions and elevated prominent corner setting including terraced front setback, enhanced by a stone and brick boundary wall. The property is associated with a number of prominent people including William Henry Gome, Clerk of Gawler, and George John Loveridge, successful draper.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
William Paxton, of Burra Mines fortune, held large portions of land in Gawler in the mid- 1840s. In 1 849 the area between Lyndoch Road and the South Para River and between East Terrace and High Street was surveyed and subdivided for sale by Paxton. An undated historic plan indicates that the subject town allotment was likely first purchased by Henry Calton, Colonist and prominent local businessman as part of a much larger large holding which extended from Daly Street, along Calton Road and Murray Streets, taking in the site of his ‘Old Spot Hotel’. 1859 rate assessment books indicate that George Wyld, Adelaide businessman, owned Lot 295 as part of a much larger holding of adjoining lots including 238, 239, 240 and 394.
The original Allotment 295 remained vacant and undivided until 1870 when titles indicate there was then separate ownership of two part lots (now 4 and 6 Calton Road). The subject lot was transferred at this time to William Henry Gome, Clerk of Gawler. At the time of purchase Gome worked as an accountant for storekeeper, James Harris. The property was transferred to George John Loveridge, Draper, in September 1872 and by 1875 rate assessments indicate that a residence of high rateable value had been constructed. Newspaper advertising of May 1874 suggests that the dwelling may have been under construction at the time by James Mahoney, builder called for tenders for ‘excavating an underground room and area at Mr George Loveridge’s, Calton Road’. Loveridge owned the property until his death in 1891, after which it transferred to Thomas Curson, Gawler Engineer. Following his death in 1907 the property transferred to his wife, Emma who held it until her own death in 1911.
Please <click here> to view photos of 6 Calton Road.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- Bunyip 'MUDLA. WIRRA. SOUTH MAY 16.' 22 May 1874
- Plan of Part Gawler Town n.d.
- Gawler Times 'GAWLER LOCAL COURT’ 4 March 1873
- Gawler Rate Assessment Book East Ward
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 141/246