Cameron Street 4-6

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 4-6 Cameron Street
Town or Locality: Gawler
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.


This is a single-storey pair of attached dwellings of the Victorian-era, constructed of overpainted brick with overpainted random rubble side walls. The transverse gable roof is clad with corrugated metal with parapeted gable end walls. Windows are timber-framed, double-hung divided (4) and multipaned (6) sashes, and doors are panelled timber with fanlights. Chimneys are overpainted brick with corbelled caps. The concave verandah is clad with corrugated metal on turned timber posts. A non-original cyclone wire fence with picket gate defines the front boundary.


Likely constructed around 1858, the attached cottages at 4-6 Cameron Street, Gawler, Gawler, are associated with the intense settlement phase of the original Gawler township subdivision. Small, modest worker’s cottages were developed throughout this area during the mid-Victorian era as a result of the burgeoning population on the back of heightened agricultural and industrial activity. Many of the cottages such as these were commonly constructed hurriedly by landowners for lease to new arrivals, labourers ad tenancy rather than ownership. Of local materials, the stone cottage contributes to the harmonious streetscape.


The Town of Gawler was first surveyed and planned by Light, Finnis & Co in 1839 as part of the Gawler Special Survey sponsored by a syndicate of wealthy investors including Henry Dundas Murray, John Reid and others. The original town plan devised by Light and laid out by William Jacob comprised 240 acres, made up of 100 acres of allotments (as 200 half-acre allotments) and 140 acres of streets, parklands, city squares, churches, cemeteries and other public places. Each of the original Special Survey investors was allocated township blocks along with their country acres, proportionate to the extent of their investment.

Allotment 35, flanked by Jacob and Cameron streets formed part of the original 1839 subdivision of Gawler Town. Allotment 28 was first allocated to survey proprietor Moore. The exact date of construction is unknown, however rate books record four rateable buildings on the broader allotment in 1858 including a 4 room cottage owned by John Bennett, 2 room cottage owned by ‘Bates’, a second 2 room cottage owned by Bennett and a 4 room house owned by Bennett. All cottages were occupied by others, suggesting their speculative or lettable nature.

Certificate of Title dated 1871, indicates that Part lot 28 included the area covering the addresses now numbered 2 and 4-6 Cameron Street. Rate books record that the subject parcel was owned in part by Elizabeth Magarey in 1868, whereas the CT indicates 1871. The property was later passed on to her son Isaac Magarey as executor of her will. Subdivision of the allotment occurred in 1946.

Please <click here> to view photos of 4-6 Cameron street.


This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)

The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)

Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.



  • Gawler Rate Assessment books South Ward
  • Hignett Gawler Heritage Study: Stage 1 1 981.
  • LTO GRO Plan No.138/1863 ‘Gawlertown’
  • LTO Certificate of Title CT 155/239
Cameron Street 4-6
Cameron Street 4-6

Memories of Cameron Street 4-6

Do you remember Cameron Street 4-6 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.