Crown Street 11

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 11 Crown Street
Town or Locality: Gawler East
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.


The single-storey double-fronted symmetrical cottage is of mid-Victorian style. Its façade and side walls are of overpainted stone, with overpainted brick quoins and dressings. The roof form is a transverse gable, clad with corrugated galvanised iron, with brick coping to parapet ends, rear skillion and two original face brick chimneys. The convex corrugated iron verandah to the front elevation has later turned timber posts and cast iron lace brackets. The central doorway is flanked by a timber-framed double-hung sash windows. The site also includes a later corrugated galvanised iron-roofed masonry garage and carport and a timber picket fence to the frontage.


Likely constructed during the late 1870s, the worker’s cottage at 11 Crown Street, Gawler East demonstrates the ongoing expansion and demand for housing in Gawler’s suburban subdivisions throughout the final quarter of the nineteenth century. The largely intact example of a worker’s cottage demonstrates the distinctive transverse gabled typology, found throughout Gawler.


The original Corporation of Gawler established in 1857 extended as far east as East Terrace; the land to the east was under governance of the Barossa West District Council. In 1876 the land situated between East Terrace and Crown Street was surveyed for subdivision by George Warren to form ‘Gulf View’ of 16 allotments and Bishop Street. The area was situated in the southern half of Section 6, Hundred of Nuriootpa, part of the land originally granted to John Reid in the Gawler Special Survey of 1839. Residential development appeared to have been established quickly from that date.

The first known title holder of the subject parcel, Part Lot 16, in 1881 , was Mary Garrett Niquet, wife of Charles Wesley Niquet, watchmaker of Gawler. In 1888 the title passed to Arabella Rose Dawes, wife of Gawler Surgeon, Richard St Mark Dawes. The Dawes, however, lived in High Street and Arabella also owned property in Adelaide Road, suggesting the property had been acquired as an investment. Thereafter, title passed from George Zbierski, labourer (1910), to John William Hamilton, farmer (1918), to Rose Hilda Sheard, wife of Harold Llewellyn Sheard, Draper (1919).

Please <click here> to view photos of 11 Crown Street.


This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)

The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)

Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.



  • Danvers Gawler Heritage Survey 1998 p.233.
  • Hignett Gawler Heritage Study: Stage 1 1 981.
  • LTO Certificate of Title CT 350/153.
  • LTO GRO Plan No.138/1863 ‘Gawlertown’
  • Warren G. ‘Plan of Gulf View Gawler’
Crown Street 11
Crown Street 11

Memories of Crown Street 11

Do you remember Crown Street 11 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.