Dean Street 7

From Gawler History
Jump to: navigation, search
Fast Facts
Address: 7 Dean Street
Town or Locality: Gawler West
Loading map...
The following coordinate was not recognized: Geocoding failed.


This large single-storey, double-fronted villa of quality late-Victorian style is situated in a generous garden setting, set back front the street. It is constructed of dressed bluestone with red face brick dressings. The hipped roof is clad with corrugated galvanised iron featuring red brick chimneys with corbelled caps. The windows are timber-framed, double-hung sashes with exterior shutters. The grand central door is recessed with a semi-circular arched head and fanlight. The hipped ogee profile verandah is clad with corrugated galvanised iron and is supported on Corinthian cast-iron columns with elaborate cast-iron frieze and corner brackets and intricate cast-iron balustrade. The main entrance is defined by a remnant panel of tessellated tiling. To the rear is a large attached wing which extends from the main house along the western side boundary. The skillion roof is concealed behind a parapet with elaborate red brick frieze and capping. The rear verandah to the dwelling returns along the eastern side of the wing and repeats the elaborate cast iron detail. Multiple rooms open off the verandah, each with a panelled timber door and timber-framed doublehung sash window. The front boundary is defined by an elaborate rendered stone wall with moulded brick coping and piers, cast-iron panels and gate. The entry gate is recessed with curved walls and cast-iron panels to either side.


Constructed around 1880 for Gawler Draper, William Henry Gome, the villa at 7 Dean Street, Gawler West is associated with the development of the Bassett Town extension from 1873. It demonstrates the residential aspirations of Gawler’s successful traders at a time of great optimism and commercial growth in the township. The villa is a fine and largely externally intact dwelling of the late-Victorian era displaying generous proportions and quality local stonework, brickwork and masonry, completed by the early stone, brick and cast iron boundary fence and gates to Dean Street. Of note is the association with prominent local businessmen, William Gome, Gawler Draper and Francis Augustine Taylor, of Taylor Bros. Crystal Butter and Ice Factory.


Section 8 of the Hundred of Mudla Wirra, located to the west of the Gawler Railway Station, was subdivided for sale in 1873 as Bassett Town.

From 1880 Allotment 143 of the subdivision was held by William Henry Gome, Draper of East Gawler. Gome had arrived in Gawler in 1852 and was in business in the 1850s in Murray Street Gawler with Rudolf Korff, trading as Korff & Gome; he was then employed by James Harris for 37 years. During that time he was heavily involved in the local community through the Institute, St George’s Church and the Baptist Church Sunday School, Forester’s Lodge.

Gome owned the property until transfer to Henry Charles Swan and Isaac Rouse Killicoat in 1901. Francis Augustine Taylor, a Gawler Merchant held the title from 1924 and by the late 1940s the property had been expanded to include part of Lot 142, the adjoining allotment to the east. Lot 141 was also included in the certificate of title under the same ownership. FA Taylor and his brothers, Arthur and Cyril Taylor had taken up a lease as dairymen in the western Barossa district in 1894. On return from the Boer War they took up a larger holding of 1,000 acres near Gawler, ‘Wheatsheaf’ or ‘Trevu’ owned by James Martin and expanded their agricultural activity in 1902. From on-farm milk production to making butter as an experiment, to providing Gawler’s first milk run, the brothers went on to establish Taylor Bros Crystal Butter and Ice Factory in Water Street, now Eighth Street, Gawler West.

The site had been established as a Flax Mill and then Fotheringham’s Cordial Factory in 1906. Hugely successful, the Taylor’s business went on to be a significant industry in Gawler, eventually closing in 1986. It is unclear if AG Taylor had purchased Dean Street as a private residence, separate to the Trevu lease, however he held the title until 1956. Originally named Blanch Street, the roadway was renamed Dean Street in 1939.

Please <click here> to view photos of 7 Dean Street.


This report has been prepared by the following people:

• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)

• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)

• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)

• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)

The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:

• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)

• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)

• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)

Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.


Related Articles


  • LTO Certificate of Title 337/16 1880
  • LTO Certificate of Title 443/128 1884
  • LTO Certificate of Title 1993/67 1948
  • Taylor AG. ‘Doings of the Taylor Brothers’ n.d.
  • ‘William Henry Gome’ Bunyip (Gawler) June 19 1914
7 Dean Street October 1988
7 Dean Street October 1988

Memories of Dean Street 7

Do you remember Dean Street 7 ? Then Join up and add your memory here.