Eighth Street 19-21
|Address:||19-21 Eighth Street|
|Town or Locality:||Gawler South|
The attached pair of single-storey double-fronted cottages are designed in a simple mid-to late-Victorian era mode. Of stone rubble construction, the external walls have been rendered and overpainted. The symmetrical façade of each dwelling includes a central entrance door with glazed fanlight which is flanked by two timber-framed double-hung sash windows. The hipped roof spans both dwellings and is punctuated by a large double chimney serving both; the roof is reclad with corrugated steel. A concave verandah on simple timber posts also spans the full width of the façade; this is divided by a stone partition wall which extends to divide the front gardens. A stone wall with brick piers and arched coping extends the full width of the front boundary allotment and returns to meet the cottage facades.
STATEMENT OF HERITAGE VALUE:
The pair of attached cottages at 19-21 Eighth Street demonstrate the intensity of residential development in Gawler South which is associated with a period of prosperity within the town which was based around its industrial and commercial growth and activity in the 1870s and 1880s.
BRIEF HISTORICAL BACKGROUND:
Section 3 of the Gawler Special Survey was originally granted to Henry Dundas Murray and E Moore in 1839. A portion of Section 3, Hundred of Mudla Wirra was laid out as ‘Gawler Town South’ in 1858. This followed completion of the main railway to Gawler and Station, located nearby to the west in 1857. According to the original plan of subdivision and Certificate of Title, Eighth Street was originally named ‘Water Street’. While the eastern side of the street was largely developed with smaller cottages, the western side evolved to include a number of substantial dwellings on the larger allotments between the industrial sites.
The original landholder for Part Allotment 17 is unclear, however in 1882 the title was held by John Draper, of Gawler South, ‘Whitesmith’. Draper transferred the property to Thomas Henry Bailey and John Joseph Bailey, both of Gawler, gardeners, as Tenants-In-Common in 1889, indicating likelihood of two dwellings by this stage.
Please <click here> to view a photo of 19-21 Eighth Street.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team Inc. thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- LTO Certificate of Title CT 406/205