Trams in Gawler
|Type of thing||Business
[research Robert Haysom] "On 1st January 1864, two omnibuses commenced running between Gawler and the Railway Station: the old "Celerity" belonging to Mr E. Clement, and a new one owned by the new contractor for the delivery of the mail. On 1879 February 4th: the first car run on the Gawler tramway. Traffic commenced on February 17; 300 passengers in the first week."
According to Glimpses of Gawler Vol2 p56 "Two horse drawn trams operated between the Gawler Railway Station and Murray Street for 52 years (1879 to 1931). The smaller tram carried 40 passengers and was in use from 1879 to 1901. It was then replaced by a larger vehicle which had the capacity for 60 and ran from 1901 to 1931. The tram tracks were removed from Murray Street in 1933."
Click here to view photos and articles about the Gawler Tramway.
Click here to read Gawler Machinery Restorers' Club Newsletter realting to Trams in Gawler.
Click here to read Memories of Gawler 1923+ by Colin Hillier re trams on pages 28 and 36. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t46sIGz7_J3T34GOYtfOLIj27BDiXAxy