Gawler Thematic History - Marking the Phases of Life
|Type of thing||Government|
|Date made or found||2020
Marking the Phases of Life
The original cemetery, now known as ‘the Old Cemetery’ was designated at the top of Murray Street. Containing the remains of the original founders of Gawler, it has been disused since 1870, however attempts to reuse it for recreation and to build a band rotunda ended in the Council being sued by the family of one of those interred and so the site was abandoned until 1936 when it was dedicated as a parkland ‘Pioneer Place’. 127
click here for Pioneer Park burial records
In 1861, the St Georges Anglican Cemetery was created on Cheek Avenue, Gawler East.
In 1866, a new cemetery was created at Willaston and its first interment occurred on 18 November.
In June 1933, the first burial after cremation occurred at Willaston Cemetery.
This report has been prepared by the following people:
• Nancy Cromar (Flightpath Architects)
• Deborah Morgan (Flightpath Architects)
• Kate Paterson (Flightpath Architects)
• Douglas Alexander (Flightpath Architects)
The study team would like to acknowledge the assistance of the following people:
• David Petruzzella (Strategic Planner; Town of Gawler)
• Jacinta Weiss (Cultural Heritage Centre Coordinator; Town of Gawler)
• Jane Strange (Senior Development and Strategic Policy Officer; Town of Gawler)
Gawler History Team thanks: Flightpath Architects, Ryan Viney and the Town of Gawler for allowing us access to this important document of Gawler History.
- 127 Whitelock D. p. 157