Stained Glass and Leadlight Windows in Gawler Churches
|Type of thing||Personal
Stained Glass and Leadlight Windows within St. George's Anglican Church, Orleana Square, Cowan Street
Clockwise from Western Doors
- Coloured Diamond – Restored to the memory of Kath Whibley (St. George’s chorister) 1996
- Suffer The Little Children – “The Children’s Window”, donated by St. George’s Sunday School. Assigned in 1865. Originally constructed of zinc cam by E. Brooks, Adelaide. Restored to the memory of parishioner Roland P. Day. Art Glass Kersbrook 1996.
- The Bright Children Memorial – Donate in memory of J. E. and M. A. Bright by their parents. Assigned in 1865. Originally constructed of zinc cam by Brooks Adelaide. Restored as a gift by Church parishioners. Art Glass 1996.
- Seal of the Chapter of Adelaide – Donated by the Dean and Members of the Chapter. Contains very beautiful antique glass. Assigned in 1870. Originally constructed of zinc cam by Brooks Adelaide. Restored by parishioners. Art Glass 1996.
- The Good Samaritan – In memory of William Hull Lewis, surgeon – donated by his relatives. Assigned in 1875. One of the few Ferguson and Urie windows in South Australia. Restored 1999 to the memory of George Alexander Weaver, by his wife Betty and Family. For further interesting information from the descendants of the makers Ferguson and Urie, click here.
- The Gawler Window – Depicting Colonel Gawler’s Coat of Arms. Donated by the Town of Gawler. Assigned in 1869. Originally constructed of zinc cam by Brooks Adelaide. Restored to the memory of parishioner Robert J. Tapscott. Art Glass 1999.
The Lady Chapel.
- The Rose Window – Depicting “Christ the High Priest”, subscribed to by the choir. Cedar Prest 1982.
- Musician Window – To the memory of Dos Richards, past choristers, and organists. And Andrew J. Wilkes. Art Glass 1994.
- St. George and the Dragon - To the memory of Fr. E. J. (Ted) Waterhouse. Rector 1967 – 1975. And Christopher and Francis Cox 1994. Art Glass 1994.
Left Side Sanctuary.
- Risen Christ – To commemorate the life of Elizabeth Harris who died in 1913. Donated by her parents. Powell’s of London.
- Jesus Mercy – “To the Greater Glory of God”. Commemorating the life of Mary Ann Dixon 1854-1940. Clarkson Adelaide.
The Eastern Wall.
- The Light of the World, Ascension, The Good Shepherd - In memory of Rev. W. H. Coombs. First incumbent of the parish, 1846-1896. Early works be E. F. Troy 1898.
Right Side Sanctuary
- Jesus Mercy – In memory of Rosa Winfield Grace 1851-1940. Clarkson Adelaide.
- Faith – In memory of Ada Grace. Died 1909. H. L. Vosz. Adelaide.
- Nearer My God to Thee – In memory of Sarah Jones, who died in 1878, wife of T. Oliver Jones.
- St. Augustine – In memory of Leonard Brown, Ronald Denner, Robert East, Beth Hidson, Ralph Ormsby, Charles and Frances Wilson. Art Glass 1996.
- Jesus Christ Our Lord – Donated by the Thom family. Art Glass 1996.
- St. Peter – In memory of Thelma Mattei. Art Glass 1996.
- Coloured Diamond – Restored to the memory of parishioner Sybil Chambers. Art Glass 1972.
- Tower Windows – Six small windows were replaced in the tower in 1998. Constructed by Dorothy Hopgood. Cost of materials donated by parishioners.
Read Town of Gawler's Historical Pamphlet on Stained Glass here.
Read Trix McConnell's further information relating to the Stained Glass windows in the Anglican Church on Page 46 of this document (page 42 of her recollections)
Further photos of STAINED GLASS WINDOWS IN GAWLER CHURCHES can be seen in our article "Churches in Gawler and South Australia" and go to "Stained Glass - Gawler" collection.
Memories of Stained Glass and Leadlight Windows in Gawler Churches
Residents of Gawler are asked to take photographs of their stained glass/leadlight windows and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org .jpg format filesize less than 1MB. With address (or without address for privacy reasons)