Visit of the Prince of Wales, July 1920
|Type of event||Celebration|
|Street name||Twentythird Street|
|Town or locality||Gawler|
|Date occurred or began||July 12, 1920|
|Date ended||July 12, 1920|
Edward, Prince of Wales, was the official representative of his father, King George V, when he visited Australia in 1920 as part of a world tour to thank the nations of the British Empire for their sacrifices during World War One.
The Bunyip (16 July 1920) reported that the Prince’s visit to Gawler on 12 July 1920 was his first official ceremony in the State but it was not much more than a "whistle stop" on the Prince’s rail journey from Western Australia to Adelaide.
As the Prince alighted from the carriage and made his way along the wattle-bordered carpeted pathway to the dais where “massive bushes of daphne diffused their sweet fragrance”, he was given a “rousing welcome” by the 5,000 people present at the Gawler Railway Station. Amongst those assembled were children from all of the schools of Gawler and the surrounding area, returned soldiers and war workers. Rigg’s Viceregal Band “discoursed sweet music” and flags and decorations were prominent.
The Prince was welcomed by the Premier of South Australia, the Honourable H N Barwell and the Mayor of Gawler, James Busbridge Jnr., along with other dignitaries from the surrounding Councils. A gift of a red gum casket containing the official address was presented to the Prince.
Please click here to photos of the visit from the Prince of Wales.
- The Bunyip 16 July 1920